5 replies to this topic

#1 Karl Eklund

Karl Eklund
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

I'm in pre-production for a final student film.

We are planning on shooting S16 on SR2, with prime superspeeds. So far, the Vision3 family are only 200T, 250D and 500T. There will be exterior shots, and I like to shoot pretty open aperture, with not too much ND-filters. So how well does Vision2 50D work/match compared to say using Vision3 250D and rate it lower, like 125 or 64? What would the grain structure and dynamic range be like? I don't worry to much about difference in grain, since it will be very different styles/tones/atmosphere between scenes, and I will most likely shoot each scene with a specific stock. But yeah, is it better to get 250D and pull or go with 50D?

#2 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

Use the 50D stock, it matches perfectly with V3.

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

Like Dirk said, use the 7201. It is pretty much a Vision3 stock anyway. It was the last addition to the Vision2 family and has much if not all of the Vision3 technology.

#4 Karl Eklund

Karl Eklund
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how much can you rate down or pull Vision3 500T (other film stock too)?

Like, how different will a 500T rated 250T be from the real 200T, or if the 500T is rated at 200T?

Push-processing gives it more contrast and grain, but pulling lowers contrast and makes it less grainy (dynamic range is improved as well right)?

#5 jeroenvanderpoel

jeroenvanderpoel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • amsterdam

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

If you want to pull process a 500t, I would say in the first place thats a no go. Thats because you didnt spoke about a specific look, but you spoke about dynamic range and grain.. The dynamic range for your film won't change that much, although you will create a different look. The look and balancing of your film will change, in terms of: gamma and color reproduction. You should test this. It can give you a more subtle look then flash the film. Anyways''the vision 3 family has an amazing latitude, I wouldnt like to have a film with a more softened out look. you''d better change your mis en scene, or light to archieve this.. ..Pushing will give you a bit more saturated look (more in the reds then in the blue's), and it will be a bit more contrasty (but in terms of gamma), it wont cut of your white point that much, but you will increase grain.
Push processing is more common on a 500t, Thats because its the fastest stock available,and sometimes you want to go faster.
Pulling has more to do with 'look'. Its the same thing as pushing a 50d 1 stop. It wont give you exactly one more stop of availablelight, but you will have a more aggresive look.. Good Luck!
Hey and a wide shot on a 200t will always have the suggestion ofmore grain to your brain then a CU on a 500t.
Start to learn about the characteristics of film, how to light it up,how to rate it, etc.. And always leave room to experiment.
We are one of the last generations that shoot film, and I can say that film isthe best way to learn shooting.

Edited by jeroenvanderpoel, 01 March 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#6 Anand Modi

Anand Modi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

I was looking for a slightly washed-out, low contrast look on a project last fall, and we thought about shooting all vision2; 7229 for interiors and 7201 for exteriors. Then we got an offer we couldn't refuse on 7219, and we decided to shoot everything on it. After testing, we chose to rate at 125 and pull 1 stop. For some exteriors, with an 85/ND.9 combo we were rating at 8 or 16. We nailed the look, and I couldn't be happier with the result.

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Opal

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC