Photo

For those considering a modern interval timer for super 8...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

I bought a Chinese made TC-80N3a interval timer from Hong Kong for my Canon 1014 Autozoom Electronic. This particular device is intended for use with certain models of Canon DSLR cameras. First, I tested it with my Canon EOS 30 35mm SLR and it worked perfectly fine. I then tested it with my 1014 and dammit, it didn't work. Same input socket, by the way. This timer also doubles as a regular remote release and that feature does work with the 1014 but not the interval timer.

Though since I unplugged it from the 1014 and reinserted it into the EOS, the timer has been acting a bit strange. It used to count down to 0 on the LCD panel. For example, if I set it to 4 second intervals, it used to count 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 4, 3 etc. Now it counts 4, 3, 2, 1, 4, 3 etc.

I used to have the original interval timer E for the 1014 but that has mysteriously disappeared. It took me months to get hold of one and I don't have the patience to track down another. So I bought this modern variation, thinking that it would be a good alternative.

I still would like to put it to use though. Actually, I had been planning to purchase a digital still camera to do time lapse with. I don't have the funds for a DSLR so I'm looking for a compact or possibly those other sort of digi cameras that are in a category of their own - somewhere inbetween a compact and a DSLR. I think those are called 'power zoom' cameras or something like that - some models bear a resemblance to DSLRs but do not have interchangeable lenses.

Regarding the interval timer, I’m not sure of the name of the socket that it plugs into but it’s the same as on the canon 1014, whatever that’s called? Would anyone know of any digital camera models, compact or power zoom, that have this same socket? If not, are there any other remote release sockets on digital cameras that could be used with the same plug via an adapter?

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Opal

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider