Dafvid Skoog

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

Hello everybody!

Some time ago I saw a picture of a big kind of ring light that you hang from the ceiling to get a nice, soft, green screen light and I've totally forgot what it was called...

Also I've been searching for it and I haven't seen any shoot with that kind of light in it, everybody shoots with different kinds of kinos and fluorescence light etc. What is the pros and the cons about this thing? I've heard it gives you a really smooth and even lighting, but if there are so few that's actually using it, it must be something bad about it...

Thank you.

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

The ring light rigs I've seen are the small ones that go around the lens. They're used with a retro-reflective screen. The big advantages are that you don't have green contamination everywhere, and you use a lot less power, because you're only supplying the green light that's going to come back to the camera. The screen material is expensive, though.

-- J.S.

#3 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

It sounds like you're thinking of the space light, a circular shaped flood source, wattage anywhere from 2 to 12k depending on the fixture. Most common is the 6K spacelight, which runs on 6 1k (FCM) bulbs. Often a silk or solid skirt will hang from it with a silk target directly under the fixture to disperse or control the light. They look like 6k space lights (ALNY) (Thanks to Availiable Light in Long Island City for the pic)
They're still very popular in soundstage lighting for their soft, omnidirectional spread, which also allows one to light a greenscreen and provide some footcandles to work with on the talent, to be augmented with closer sources. However, more efficient options for lighting the greenscreen and only the greenscreen have come on the market, namely kinos, which offer a smooth and powerful illumination for a fraction of the power draw and generate tons less heat.

#4 Ronald Gerald Smith

Ronald Gerald Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

It's nice having 3 or 4 spacelights for a green screen.

You place two of them between your talent and the green screen. You place one (or 2) of them between the talent and your camera. Nice, quick, easy lighing - doesn't get much easier.

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport