Ricardo Maria

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Greetings from Portugal,

soon I will begin shooting a documentary with the HVX200.

I would like to know what are the ideal setting for shooting slow motion with this camera (in PAL).

#2 Jay Oxley

Jay Oxley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, England

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

In order to shoot slow motion < 50fps you need to change the camera to 'Film Cam' in the menu settings as natively it isn't set to this. Having then done this you need to drop the resolution to 1280x720p as it can only overcrank in this resolution, not full HD unfortunately. After this you then need to adjust the settings to the desired frame rate you'd like to shoot at. An alternative option which I wouldn't recommend is to shoot it normally and then time re-map it, but like I said not the best way to do it.

I can't remember off the top of my head the individual menu 'titles' in order to change all of these parameters but I'm sure you can find them. Hope that helps.

Jay

#3 Ricardo Maria

Ricardo Maria

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hi,

In order to shoot slow motion < 50fps you need to change the camera to 'Film Cam' in the menu settings as natively it isn't set to this. Having then done this you need to drop the resolution to 1280x720p as it can only overcrank in this resolution, not full HD unfortunately. After this you then need to adjust the settings to the desired frame rate you'd like to shoot at. An alternative option which I wouldn't recommend is to shoot it normally and then time re-map it, but like I said not the best way to do it.

I can't remember off the top of my head the individual menu 'titles' in order to change all of these parameters but I'm sure you can find them. Hope that helps.

Jay

Jay,

thanks for your reply.

Should I shot it in progressive mode or interlaced? I do believe progressive is the way to go regarding slow-motion. Am I right?

Having the project running at 25fps should I shoot it in 50p or 50pn?

Thank you.

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Visual Products