• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Thomas King

Patrick Thomas King
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help shed some light on this conundrum:

An Alexa 'take' that appears as 4.3gb in size, on a SxS card mounted on Mac OS X is coming up at just under 4gb in size when transfered to another device, in this case a G-Tech 500gb drive, Mac OS X Journaled).

Is this an issue with .xml file paths being disrupted, or symptomatic of the transfer across media formatting i.e SxS and UDF -> G-Tech, Mac OS X Journaled?

There appears to be no 'loss' within picture and sound. Camera used has current firmware.

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

It sounds like the difference between the binary and decimal interpretations of Giga- about 7.4%. If so, it's nothing to worry about.

-- J.S.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

Seconded. If it works, don't worry.

#4 Patrick Thomas King

Patrick Thomas King
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

Thank you both for your advice - number of bytes match also, which eased my concern.

Today however, I noticed that after turning over for 2 seconds at ProRes 4444, the camera displayed a codec error, and ceased recording. (I wrote a log file and it was sent to Munich).

Comparing what was on SxS and on the target drive I had set up, the file on card was roughly 100 megabytes, and after transfer - 2.5 megabytes.... I wonder if there is something else at work here - such as after the recent firmware update enabling playback on camera, is some kind of header/encapsulation generated and tacked onto files whilst on camera?

#5 andrew kuepper

andrew kuepper

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Diego / Los Angeles

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

I recently had this same issue. SxS cards were not giving me copies that had the same byte length on original files in both desktop copies and copies to one or more external drives.

I used Al3xa Data manager, with md5 verififcations that came back positive for verification, but did NOT have the same byte length as original clips. Manual copies to desktop exhibited the same issue. I Could find no problems with the copied files, they scrubbed and played back as the originals. This was all extemely frustrating and disconcerting.

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

Differant OS'es (and programs therein) may be rounding differently. Instead of 1024 they go off of 1000 to the mega, hence you'll have file-size discrepancies. normally they should be pretty small--relatively-- a 100 to 2.5 mb difference would be a big concern, but then again, if checksums, check, the stuff should all be there.

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

CineLab

The Slider

Opal

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc