2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Tounian

Mike Tounian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hi folks, I know that there are recommendations on the best way to ship a zoom lens, something about the barrels, but I can't for the life of remember what the precautions are.

As the topic states, I'm having an Angenieux 25-250 shipped to me and don't want to be one of the horror stories of cracked glass from shipment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Mike Tounian

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

To completely isolate the zoom elements from the front and rear groups you would tape the zoom at the wide end and the focus at minimum. But the reverse is generally safe too (ie zoom at long end, focus at infinity), the benefit being the heavy focus group is fully engaged in the threads.

I'd avoid shipping with the zoom at the wide end and focus at infinity, since the front element of the zoom group and rear element of the focus group are very close in that combination.

Also avoid leaving either zoom or focus somewhere in the middle of their range, as a knock could cause a bump in the travel mechanisms.

#3 Mike Tounian

Mike Tounian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

To completely isolate the zoom elements from the front and rear groups you would tape the zoom at the wide end and the focus at minimum. But the reverse is generally safe too (ie zoom at long end, focus at infinity), the benefit being the heavy focus group is fully engaged in the threads.

I'd avoid shipping with the zoom at the wide end and focus at infinity, since the front element of the zoom group and rear element of the focus group are very close in that combination.

Also avoid leaving either zoom or focus somewhere in the middle of their range, as a knock could cause a bump in the travel mechanisms.

Thank you for the greatly helpful info!

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Technodolly