#1 Joe Zakko

Joe Zakko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Student
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

I just got my first roll back, finally. I was overeager and wanted to see a certain shot, so I went through the roll and holding the film in front of a light to see it. I mainly handled it with a microfiber cloth, but it still got everywhere. The shot I wanted to see was much further than I expected and it was quite a mess.

photo.jpg

How badly scratched will it be? I still have the negatives untouched, and can just send in those to be telecined, but the place I want to telecine only does positives so I'd have to find another place without a minimum charge. As this is the first roll I've shot, I have no idea how easy it is to scratch these, and I really regret touching the roll, I wish I just sent it straight to be telecined.

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

I just got my first roll back, finally. I was overeager and wanted to see a certain shot,
How badly scratched will it be? I still have the negatives untouched, and can just send in those to be telecined, but the place I want to telecine only does positives

I am presuming you had a positive print made and that is what you were wanting to look at?

The print probaly would not have too many scratches from the abuse in your photo, (and we have all probably scattered film on the floor like that at one time or another) but would have likly picked up a good deal of dust.

The only places I know that will only work from a positive are the sort of folks that do "home Movie to DVD" style transfers. A Movie lab will in general prefer to work from a negative. The print, even if the printing was 100% perfect has less information (almost by definition) than the negative, and will have a much higher contrast, making it harder for any electronic device to capture the full range.

please give us some more details on what you are wanting to do with your movie and perhaps we can give you some better help.

#3 Joe Zakko

Joe Zakko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Student
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

The only places I know that will only work from a positive are the sort of folks that do "home Movie to DVD" style transfers. A Movie lab will in general prefer to work from a negative. The print, even if the printing was 100% perfect has less information (almost by definition) than the negative, and will have a much higher contrast, making it harder for any electronic device to capture the full range.

please give us some more details on what you are wanting to do with your movie and perhaps we can give you some better help.

It is a home movie to dvd transfer place, called MovieStuff. They explained to me why they can't telecine negatives, with the whole dust being more visible conundrum. They're the only place that I've found that'll telecine my film without a minimum cost, they do HD transfers, and I really can't afford the minimum. I'm gonna call the lab I used to see if they can do me a huge favor by prorating the telecine charge, but if that doesn't work out, I might have to use Movie Stuff.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

If you have your OCN, I don't see anything wrong with getting this done on the cheap (the positive) just to get an idea what you got, and SAVING YOUR CASH and going back to the OCN when you can afford it for a full scan. Good things to those who wait, says me, and patience will be worth it. It's also nice to have something to work towards ;)

As for scratching, you'll probably get a lot more scratching on that print from the cheap telecine machine....

Visual Products

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery