#1 James B

James B
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hi
Perhaps not the perfect place to request feedback, but am still undecided on my next lens purchase.
Currently, shooting7D, with Tamron 18-50 and Pentax takumar 50.
Mostly run n gun type shooting and interview style setups.

Candidates
1-Canon 17-55(for the IS, AFTER selling the Tamron)
2-Canon 35 1.4L (as an investment, especially if I upgrade to red-Scarlet in the future)
3-Canon 24mm1.4L(perhaps a tad wide, even on 7D, but considered one of the sharpest L lenses available)
4-Sigma 30 1.4 (as an alternative to the Canon 351.4L, could use the cash saved towards an additional lens or other gear)

Anyone own and use any of these candidates, or have other suggestions?

#2 Garry Torrance

Garry Torrance
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Scotland

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

For the money you'd spend on either of the Canon L-series lenses, you could buy the 17-55mm IS (after selling the Tamron) AND the Sigma 30mm 1.4, that way you'll have a nice fast-ish zoom for run'n'gun filming and a fast prime for when you're struggling for light or want shallow dof for interviews.

Since the 7D heavily compresses its HD video, the subtleties of the improved sharpness in L-series lenses are lost. I don't think you'd notice any difference in sharpness by comparing Canon L-series primes vs Sigma EX DC primes (when shooting HD: 18-megapixel stills are another matter).

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS is one of the best lenses available for a 7D. I've got one and it is infinitely better than the kit lenses. As Garry noted, the "L" lenses are overkill on a 7D shooting video.

One thing to watch out for, the 17-55 has a reputation for picking up internal dust. I keep a ZipLock over mine at all times (even when on the camera) except when actually shooting and not had that problem.

#4 Patrick Shelton

Patrick Shelton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

The 17-55 with IS is just a great lens i mean what your really getting with the cropped censor is like a 28-75 ish but none the less

And as for the sigma 30 mm that thing is beautiful, i use this all the time on shoots, with the cropped censor its about a 48mm and is the perfect prime for the cam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly