• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Unfortunately I'm now going to have to write a brief piece about a "boxes" company. There should be more interesting things later on, with the Panasonic bash early this afternoon, but otherwise the only real action so far came from Grass Valley, who have a tradition of opening the NAB press schedule on Saturday evenings.

This would be good, but unfortunately a fair chunk of the briefing was dedicated to the company's recent split from Technicolor and the management changes involved. Unfortunately, we don't care very much about who's an executive vice president at GV, unless they're the executive vice president of press conference appetizers in which case there's always a place available in the speed dial list. The only real information is that, no, they're not considering breaking up the company and selling it off piecemeal, which is a possibility of which I had been completely unaware until they told me about it. Nice work, there, guys.

Other than that, they spent nearly and hour and a half not talking about new camera systems, went out of their way to avoid the subject of stereoscopic 3D, and loudly said nothing at all about the Edius software. There was mention of a system to put fiber-style camera control and digital pictures down triax, but that won't be of interest to you unless you're putting together an enormous outside broadcast truck, and I don't think that's my audience here.

So yes. Grass Valley. They make boxes of electronics of the critical-but-dull variety. A boxes company. Lots more this afternoon, though, so watch this space.

-P

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport