#1 Chris A Barham

Chris A Barham

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

This sunday i am due to shoot some drama recon set in ancient china.

A very small set is being constructed in a small studio (set is 6m studio 7m wide) and due to budget limitations the director has informed me that he would prefer that less of the set was fully it and that we where on the moody side of things, think less is more.

The plan is to use an HMI (2.5 or 1.2) with some black wrap with holes in and a haze machine to create sun shafts and then to use poly boards and other lights to bounce soft light into the set to bring up the level and light the actors.
the sun shafts are meant to come in through a window, though the set does not included a window so the light source will just be imitating it.

My main concerns are that i will have too much light spilling in so i have got lots of ND gels for the lights and ND for the camera, so i can hopefully take a lot of the light out to hide the set yet maintain the desired effect..

am i going down the right road..what do you all think.. click the link to get an idea of what we are trying to do. http://www.flickr.co...s/61661682@N03/

thanks

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

ND won't help with spill, rather just reduce overall exposure. Make sure you have plenty of black-wrap and a good deal of solids around to help flag things off. I think you're going the right way. i would suggest, though, if it's period appropriate, some small "points" of light for the BG, dum, just to make it look like it goes on deeper than just what's illuminated, mimicking candlesor torches in the deeper recesses. Without seeing the set, of course, I can't help more specifically.

#3 Chris A Barham

Chris A Barham

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

It would seem that the set will have some paper tissue cut outs at the back..mimicking oriental screens....so i plan to use a few kenos to get a nice soft light through them

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

The Slider

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets