• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Blackmagic have, as is their wont, been busy. There was a time when their imperious leader, Grant Petty, would address a press conference of ten or twelve people and present one new circuit board. These days there's fifty eager journalists in the room and it takes forty-five minutes to get through everything.

Of most interest, I think, is that they've now got a very tiny SSD-based camera recorder, plus a rather nice little studio deck to go with it. The camera recorder is available with HDMI and soon SDI inputs, and though it only does 4:2:2 they tell me it's 3Gbps device so presumably more could be done with firmware. This is going to give people like Atomos a run for their money, even though Atomos has more features (ProRes, a display) and on the face of it looks pretty good. To be fair, Atomos seems to be made up almost entirely of Blackmagic alumni, so perhaps we shouldn't be so surprised. The Atomos box is $995, Blackmagic's offering is an alarmingly-cheap $345. You do have to wonder what the point of Codex and S2 is now. I'm sure people will continue to find a reason to pay for it, but I'm not sure what that reason will be*.

Camera recorder ($345)

Posted Image
Studio deck ($995)
Posted Image

I'm not sure how it's possible to go wrong with that!

In a similar vein, AJA and Blackmagic now have 4K I/O devices. Blackmagic is, needless to say, cheaper, though neither could tell me what the support was like in things like Premiere. There's also only one or two 4K monitors, and only one and a half 4K cameras, so anyone who buys one of these things now will presumably be thinking of future-proofing more than anything else.

Cutest thing in show so far is Blackmagic's tape-style SSD cases. Brilliant.

P

* The reason is probably Arriraw and if you're a real stickler for 4:4:4. But that's a rather expensive option.

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera