8 replies to this topic

#1 James Compton

James Compton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

I visited the KODAK website yesterday and learned that the 5230/7230 filmstock is now available in 35/16. I called KODAK and spoke to a customer sevice rep that gave me pricing info.
I cannot find any info that seperates this filmstock from 5219,5229 or 5260, regarding image quality. It is cheaper than 5219. It IS NOT a member of the VISION3 family. I have yet to hear from my KODAK sales rep. Does anyone have anymore info? Thanks.

#2 J Van Auken

J Van Auken
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

Kodak is sending me two rolls to put against a '19 project we're doing this coming week. I'll gladly report on my findings as soon as the sans get back. As it's been explained to me, it's a hybrid of '19 and '18, which is great, because '18 was a favorite of mine, with more texture than the new stuff. We'll see. Grabs maybe.

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

The way it was explained to me it is a successor to '60 or '80, the discount 500T option that had mimicked '79 more than '18 in its characteristics.

So finer grain, not certain but pretty sure a reduction in contrast if working photo-chemically.

Personally, I'd be more interested in the percentage cost savings over '19.

#4 Adrian Correia

Adrian Correia
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

I visited the KODAK website yesterday and learned that the 5230/7230 filmstock is now available in 35/16. I called KODAK and spoke to a customer sevice rep that gave me pricing info.
I cannot find any info that seperates this filmstock from 5219,5229 or 5260, regarding image quality. It is cheaper than 5219. It IS NOT a member of the VISION3 family. I have yet to hear from my KODAK sales rep. Does anyone have anymore info? Thanks.

Just shot my first 35mm feature on this stock - pushed two stops rated at 1200.....what would you like to know?

#5 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

Just shot my first 35mm feature on this stock - pushed two stops rated at 1200.....what would you like to know?

how was the grain at that speed? what format did you shoot; 4,3,2 perf? can you post some stills?

#6 Adrian Correia

Adrian Correia
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

how was the grain at that speed? what format did you shoot; 4,3,2 perf? can you post some stills?

Grain is definitely prevalent - more so than our tests of 5219 pushed two stop. Still we were shooting a horror film so I wanted more grain. Regardless, it was still very pleasing to me even at two stops pushed. Higher key scenes the grain wasn't even that bad tell you the truth. Colors are definitely more vibrant than 5219. Sorry, can't post stills...it is being released in October though! If I get the OK I will post.

#7 Daniel Lee

Daniel Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

I asked Kodak a while back, a rep called me and explained the difference 5230 aimed at TV shooters, and you'd see the difference on the big screen but not on TV, with 5219 having better grain and better shadows.

#8 Daniel Lee

Daniel Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Cinematographer

triple post :/

Edited by Daniel Lee, 19 July 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#9 Daniel Lee

Daniel Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Cinematographer

triple post :/

Edited by Daniel Lee, 19 July 2011 - 08:03 PM.

The Slider

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS