Photo

Kodak ECN-2 Can Numbers versus Edge number discrepancies. . .

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

Questions about roll and batch numbers:

Hey everyone.

Am doing some film emulsion batch tests, and am surprised to find that the methodically-copied emulsion, batch, roll, cut etc. etc. numbers for Kodak film do NOT match what is printed on the edge.

Only thing I have ever looked at before are keycodes, but Kodak apparently hasn't even bothered to change the die or light to even say "Kodak!"

Here's my problem:

5219 076 033.01 1.20 is on the label. The barcode also says: 5219076033010120
EASTMAN 5219 076 03301 05 174 2009 and EJ 67 4220 9599+32• is the nearest Keykode number is what is latent-imaged on the film.

Problem is, I have two cans of '19 to test that are BOTH from 033.01. I thought the cut and slit numbers'd be written on the film too, but there is other information instead. Does the 4220 and 1.20 correspond?

Otherwise, I don't know which can of film I just tested, and wasted a lot of time and some money. Why can't Kodak write the same number on the can that is on the film?

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

I have not had the pleasure of playing with fresh cans for a long time, but the Slit number USED to be on a small rectangular white label on the can itself. That was one of the 2 digit numbers in the code, (Way back when it would say something like EASTMAN 37 S'AFETY FILM) where the 37 would be the slit number.

The Edit numbers has always been arbitrary, other than being intended to not repeat too often.
The 05 in your 05 174 2009 looks suspiciously like the slit number?

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Charles: It still is, at least on the 2K foot can of 2383 I got in late last year. Same thing with VNF.

Not sure with ECN. . . don't recall any on Freerunner this summer, and these are second-hand cans where it has either been thoroughly covered by gaff tape or removed.

So if 05 is a slit, at this point it doesn't help me.

I'm guessing that it's the one can and doing a clip on the other. I guess I will find out for certain when I get the other piece of film back anyway. . .

Appreciate your trying to help though. Slits always used to confuse me, the way they were/are described in cameramen's handbooks.

Also, anecdotally, I notice that the numbers are longer for '19 than Expression. Probably due to them churning out so much more '19 than anything else. . .

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Charles: It still is, at least on the 2K foot can of 2383 I got in late last year. Same thing with VNF.

Not sure with ECN. . . don't recall any on Freerunner this summer, and these are second-hand cans where it has either been thoroughly covered by gaff tape or removed.

So if 05 is a slit, at this point it doesn't help me.

I'm guessing that it's the one can and doing a clip on the other. I guess I will find out for certain when I get the other piece of film back anyway. . .

Appreciate your trying to help though. Slits always used to confuse me, the way they were/are described in cameramen's handbooks.

Also, anecdotally, I notice that the numbers are longer for '19 than Expression. Probably due to them churning out so much more '19 than anything else. . .

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Ritter Battery

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks