Photo

Higher frame rates and disc media (DVD / Blu-Ray)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 James Malamatinas

James Malamatinas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

With all the recent discussion of higher frame rates I have seen a couple of places which have indicated that footage shot at higher frame rates would not play properly, or maybe at all, if loaded on to DVDs or Blu-Rays, there was not however any reason given for this. Can anyone explain why this is?

I assume that the reason is related to the increase in data for higher frame rate footage and that it probably causes more problems with DVDs than Blu-Rays, is this right?

#2 Francesco Bonomo

Francesco Bonomo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • currently in Rome, Italy

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

With all the recent discussion of higher frame rates I have seen a couple of places which have indicated that footage shot at higher frame rates would not play properly, or maybe at all, if loaded on to DVDs or Blu-Rays, there was not however any reason given for this. Can anyone explain why this is?

I assume that the reason is related to the increase in data for higher frame rate footage and that it probably causes more problems with DVDs than Blu-Rays, is this right?

I'm not an expert and I know very little about it to say something truly meaningful about this topic, but It looks like this 48fps is aimed primarily at 3D shows, at least at the moment, so I guess that a possible solution would be to have dvds and blu-ray made from the 24fps version of those movies (i.e. the 2D version), at least until 3D becomes mainstream (and I have quite a few doubts about that happening).
That, or they will increase the compression in order to fit all that data on current systems, but who knows where storage technology will be in a few years?
Can't wait to see the official figures for data management, post-production and archival budgets on those shows, though.

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Visual Products

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

The Slider