Photo

Canon 814 Red bulb screw E100D confused!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bureaucrazy

bureaucrazy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hi, i want to use E100D in my canon 814AutoZoomElectronic. I want to shoot in daylight. Inside the camera near the bottom there is a pin which gets pressed in by the E100D cartridge that disengages the 85 filter. Also, on top of the camera is a pin which disengages the filter when you screw in a red screw with a bulb on it. However, I'm confused as to whether I need to screw this red thing in or not. The reason being that the red screw was originally intended so that Kodachrome 40T could be used with tungsten lights without the filter but that the auto exposure would reduce the appeture to compensate for no filter being there when the red screw is in. With E100D, putting the red screw in reduces the appeture also, but I dont understand whether this will give the correct exposure or if I should leave it out. What is the film speed on this camera with an E100D cartride in with the screw and without it? I want it to be at ASA100.

Thanks

#2 bureaucrazy

bureaucrazy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

just to add, I notice that when I put the red screw in, with the E100D cartride loaded, when I look through the viewfinder, the light meter needle moves to a smaller appeture than when it's not in.

#3 bureaucrazy

bureaucrazy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

just to add, I notice that when I put the red screw in, with the E100D cartride loaded, when I look through the viewfinder, the light meter needle moves to a smaller appeture than when it's not in.

I just checked again and it doesn't move when loaded, so I have answered my own question, which is that the red bulb makes no difference to exposure of daylight carts. Sorry. I still feel confused about how this is working so, maybe someone could explain?

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

You don't need to insert the pin. I've owned 2 of those cameras and remember that the metal pin inside of the threaded hole (where the red screw inserts) depresses when you load a daylight cartridge like Plus X (same cart as 100D). If your cartridge has a filter notch (like K40 or 64T) the metal pin filter switch will stay on top with a springy resistance, inserting the red plug will depress it and remove the filter.

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc