#1 David Desio

David Desio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • california, USA

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but can I use normal florescent light bulbs in a kino fixture? Are there any cheaper bulb alternatives other than the proprietary ones? Apart from color temp, why not use normal daylight balanced florescent bulbs?

A woman that runs a lighting store near here offered to sell us 2 foot bulbs "close to daylight" for $115 a pop. the price to me sounds close to kino bulbs.

Thoughts?

#2 Ed Conley

Ed Conley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

You can put any FL bulb in them.

#3 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but can I use normal florescent light bulbs in a kino fixture? Are there any cheaper bulb alternatives other than the proprietary ones? Apart from color temp, why not use normal daylight balanced florescent bulbs?

A woman that runs a lighting store near here offered to sell us 2 foot bulbs "close to daylight" for $115 a pop. the price to me sounds close to kino bulbs.

Thoughts?

As for the bulb cost, I'm glad you posted here first. If I'm reading this correctly, the store wants $115 per tube?! Kino safety coated 2' daylight tubes are $22 a piece. Otherwise, $130 for a 6 pack of tubes.If the price is for a 6 pack , that might be reasonable.

Technically, no matter what tube you buy you're looking for two things in the tubes: color temperature and the associated Color Rendering Index. Adrian Sierkowski has a great explanation of CRI in this thread: http://www.cinematog...=1 Kino tubes have a high CRI, color accuracy and wavelength. The closest match would be the GE cinema plus tubes, which I think actually come in at a higher price than the kino tubes.

That combined with the price and safety coating more suitable for film environments make the kino tubes a good combination for the fixtures.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Ross Neugeboren, 25 April 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#4 David Desio

David Desio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • california, USA

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

As for the bulb cost, I'm glad you posted here first. If I'm reading this correctly, the store wants $115 per tube?! Kino safety coated 2' daylight tubes are $22 a piece. Otherwise, $130 for a 6 pack of tubes.If the price is for a 6 pack , that might be reasonable.

Technically, no matter what tube you buy you're looking for two things in the tubes: color temperature and the associated Color Rendering Index. Adrian Sierkowski has a great explanation of CRI in this thread: http://www.cinematog...=1 Kino tubes have a high CRI, color accuracy and wavelength. The closest match would be the GE cinema plus tubes, which I think actually come in at a higher price than the kino tubes.

That combined with the price and safety coating more suitable for film environments make the kino tubes a good combination for the fixtures.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for reaffirming what I thought I knew. I had a producer ask me for her friend who owns the lighting store. I gently told her that we were just fine in our set up and that the bulbs were "special film grade bulbs". $125 per...I'm not sure why anyone would have thought we needed that but hey, thanks for the replies guys.

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc