#1 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:52 AM

For years people have been waiting for the RED scarlet, myself included, but then i realized yesterday that the EX3 at F1.9 and Fixed Scarlet at F2.6, the Sony is about the same DoF not to mention a better focal range and actually exists for purchase apart from 3k resolution and better dynamic range, is there any reason to even get the scarlet?

#2 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:04 AM

The Scarlet, if it comes come out, will have Red raw files which will enable you to do better color correcting and chroma keying and also have better slow motion.

At this point no one has any idea when the Scarlet will be out, if ever. I've been in this business way too long and I wouldn't make any plans in the near future on getting a Scarlet.

The EX3 is a fine camera and you can make money with it. I shot a low budget movie with the EX3 a couple of years ago and my director told me it looked "awesome" on a 25 foot screen when it was screened in LA a couple of months ago. The ergonomics of the EX3 aren't great, but the picture is fine for a lot of applications.

Get an EX3 or similar camera and if the Scarlet ever comes out you can always sell the EX3.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:15 AM

The fixed Scarlet would also do 120 fps.

It'll also depend if you want to use a traditional workflow or a RAW workflow. Although, I suspect, the Scarlet codec should be acceptable to the HD broadcasters, while the EX series needs an accessory recorder like the Nanoflash

#4 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:16 AM

The fixed Scarlet would also do 120 fps.

It'll also depend if you want to use a traditional workflow or a RAW workflow. Although, I suspect, the Scarlet codec should be acceptable to the HD broadcasters, while the EX series needs an accessory recorder like the Nanoflash

If i decide to use RAW workflow, will i have to invest in custom Mac Pro or PC or will a high end Macbook Pro or IMac be fine

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:41 AM

If i decide to use RAW workflow, will i have to invest in custom Mac Pro or PC or will a high end Macbook Pro or IMac be fine

The latest NLEs can handle REDCode, it's the possible rendering time that can slow things down, how quickly you need to deliver could be your problem,

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Technodolly