Advice request: Will it be worth it to shoot this low-budget feature?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Benjamin Dell

Benjamin Dell
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have recently been offered to shoot a low budget feature (12k, 12 day shoot). It doesn't pay much, and I am really torn on shooting it. I will have to provide all my own camera gear (my DSLR Kit), and the lighting kit is very small and limiting (an arri light kit with about 4 lights, barely any grip/support gear).

I have recently been getting bigger and bigger jobs, some with grip trucks. I am worried that on this shoot, I will be limited both by the expertise of my crew, which will likely be barely paid, as well as the lighting package. Can anyone chime in on this?

Is it worth having a super low-budge feature under your belt? Or no?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

Well it'll certainly help you learn how to do more with less. It'll probably be a pain in the rear. It's really up to you. If you want to do it, then you should do it. If you don't want to do it then don't do it. It's nice sometimes, to be forced to work within strong limitations, though.

#3 Albert Smith

Albert Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

Do you like the script?

aside from the creative, my biggest advice if your just looking for experience is make sure they no what they are doing. If they arn't paying crew that is not a good sign....and the fact they expect you to use an arri light kit...
Do they have a good producer, an experienced AD? ...stuff like that. If they are professional and know how to get the shots they want in a reasonable time frame with reasonable days It's never that bad. In my experience on no-budget stuff if anyone gets paid its the crew first since they have the least to gain from the project and are going to be physically actually putting in the most labor.

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Do you have anything better to do with those 12 days? Do you like working with these folks?

-- J.S.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

Also, do they have beer? I'm much more inclined to go out B/s-ing with friends with a case of beer than with strangers without one, so long as nothing else is going on.

#6 Steve Munro

Steve Munro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:59 AM

I agree with John; if there is no clash with the 12 days and you like the people as well sa the script then why not do it? There are some genuine causes out there that just need a littlehelp every now and again...

Steve

#7 bibhu das

bibhu das

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • mumbai,India

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

I have recently been offered to shoot a low budget feature (12k, 12 day shoot). It doesn't pay much, and I am really torn on shooting it. I will have to provide all my own camera gear (my DSLR Kit), and the lighting kit is very small and limiting (an arri light kit with about 4 lights, barely any grip/support gear).

I have recently been getting bigger and bigger jobs, some with grip trucks. I am worried that on this shoot, I will be limited both by the expertise of my crew, which will likely be barely paid, as well as the lighting package. Can anyone chime in on this?

Is it worth having a super low-budge feature under your belt? Or no?

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

Worth it means different things to everybody. You'll clearly not make any money so perhaps the questions to ask are: Is it a script that provides promising scenes and inspiration for you? Is it a situation in which you will do good work?

#9 Raj Kumar Macwan

Raj Kumar Macwan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Director
  • NYC

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Can anyone really make a decent film (production value wise) with 12K ? I have ~35K and a great script. Anyone interested in collaborating?

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC