#1 Edison Jia Jun Cheam

Edison Jia Jun Cheam

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hello guys. It is my first post in the forum. I need some advice/tips on a current film project I am working on.
I am using the 16mm Arriflex SR3 with a 250T film stock.

The scene is film outdoors, so I think I will shooting using a 85b filter as well.
Shot description: A close up of a woman with a holy effect(her head is heavily back lighted, which will 'portray' her like a saviour, i still want a fairly good exposure on her face, as long as I can see some facial details it would be okay).

The concern that I have is, the difference in exposure is too great such that her face will not be exposed or the natural lighting will be over exposed.

I am seeking for advice or suggestions on whether there is a need for concern and how do I achieve my shot?

Thank you so much for your kind attention. :)

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:55 AM

Depending on the framing, you could rig a backlight using either a HMI or a CTB gelled tungsten. The back light won't affect the exposure on the face since it won't be illuminating the face, only the back of the head.

#3 jun keung cheung

jun keung cheung

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Maybe- use the natural sunlight to backlight and use a mirror to reflect a frontal light on her face- then diffuse that front light with diff- 129/250. or you can do the same if you have lights- a HMI wedged (bounce off poly then diffuse). Or reflect sunlight off poly and back it way back till to get the exposure you want for her frontal- though note ratio between back and front- backlight will only be as dramatic as low as your key is. A bounced bed sheet can also work wonders...

You can over expose by 2-3 stops on back sunlight and it will be fine. Unless of course she is blond...

JC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Glidecam

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Visual Products