5 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:13 AM

When I saw the first image in this article about Charlie Sheen, Mr. Sheen looked awful.

When I scrolled down the page, I found an almost identical image of Mr. Sheen, the background is different but the clothing is the same, and Mr. Sheen looked much better.

The difference appears to be that the top picture used a flash and the result was a desaturated image that was very unflattering whereas the second image was straight on regular lighting used during the actual featured interview.

Here is a link to the article and the two images of Sheen.

#2 Micah McDowell

Micah McDowell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

When I saw the first image in this article about Charlie Sheen, Mr. Sheen looked awful.

When I scrolled down the page, I found an almost identical image of Mr. Sheen, the background is different but the clothing is the same, and Mr. Sheen looked much better.

The difference appears to be that the top picture used a flash and the result was a desaturated image that was very unflattering whereas the second image was straight on regular lighting used during the actual featured interview.

Here is a link to the article and the two images of Sheen.

Hence the reason that I HATE on-camera flashes. I use fast lenses and natural light for as much of my still photography as possible. People go, "Wow, that looks great! "How'd you do it?" And I'm not a great, or even good, photographer.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hence the reason that I HATE on-camera flashes. I use fast lenses and natural light for as much of my still photography as possible. People go, "Wow, that looks great! "How'd you do it?" And I'm not a great, or even good, photographer.

That flash helped created a really ugly purple color on Sheen's face. I seriously thought he was gravely ill until I saw the picture below where he looked like he had regular color and was slightly greasy.

#4 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:09 AM

An on camera flash isn't always that unflattering, it has the advantage of being a frontal, close to lens light - good for filling in deep eye sockets - of course it is often very harsh!

If only an on camera flash could be a bit bigger and softer!

My personal pet hate are those pre-flashes for cutting down red-eye, but it just make people blink and look drunk, especially me!

Regards,
Andy

#5 Joseph Arch

Joseph Arch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

If they bothered to use an external flash speedlite with a diffuser and a grid then it would have been a professional shot. Even with all of that, Charlie will still look sick. That's his nature.

#6 Markshaw

Markshaw
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

I used to own a Metz flash with bracket. That took fantastic photos.

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

CineTape