Photo

Film Vs. Digital from a cost perscpective.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Watson

Michael Watson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here, so I hope I'm doing it in the right place. I'm up for a feature and I wanted to do a cost analysis on the work flows of 35mm film Vs. a digital work flow. The film will have a theatrical release both domestically and internationally. Can anyone point me to a website or information source that would help me with this task?

Thank you

Edited by Michael Watson, 11 May 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

It's one of those things where you can make the no's go any way you want. I know 35mm features shot with a photochemical finish where the crew got paid for $100,000.

What's your budget, what sort of Digital do you want to use? Alexa, F35, Epic or EX3?

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here, so I hope I'm doing it in the right place. I'm up for a feature and I wanted to do a cost analysis on the work flows of 35mm film Vs. a digital work flow. The film will have a theatrical release both domestically and internationally. Can anyone point me to a website or information source that would help me with this task?

Thank you

#3 Michael Watson

Michael Watson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

It's one of those things where you can make the no's go any way you want. I know 35mm features shot with a photochemical finish where the crew got paid for $100,000.

What's your budget, what sort of Digital do you want to use? Alexa, F35, Epic or EX3?

Hey Stephen

I agree, with the right contacts and deals and favors you can make the numbers work either way. I guess I was look at it from a 1:1 perspective. No deals or favors. Just the actual costs involved in each work flow. Our tentative budget is $10M. I'm leaning towards 35mm, however, I've been doing some tests on the Alexa and I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far. But from the little research I've done the equipment rental is almost the cheapest aspect of either of the workflows.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hey Stephen

I agree, with the right contacts and deals and favors you can make the numbers work either way. I guess I was look at it from a 1:1 perspective. No deals or favors. Just the actual costs involved in each work flow. Our tentative budget is $10M. I'm leaning towards 35mm, however, I've been doing some tests on the Alexa and I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far. But from the little research I've done the equipment rental is almost the cheapest aspect of either of the workflows.

At that budget level, it's really just a choice, do some tests with your DOP & choose what fits the script best. If there was loads of Children, Animals, night shoots, green screens I would probably go with Alexa, however I generally prefer film & work with low budgets.

#5 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:02 AM

If there was loads of Children, Animals, night shoots, green screens I would probably go with Alexa...

Hey Stephen, I like it, that should be the new Alexa tagline!

Hope you're well,
Andy

The Slider

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine