#1 CraigTarry

CraigTarry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Concord, Ca

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hello, I’m developing a 90min. character driven feature to be shot at one location, a farmhouse, about 45miles from San Francisco. Although actual production is a long ways out, I’m trying to get some ballpark budget figures down.
Lighting/Grip is not my dept, but I can tell you it's at least two-thirds interior, day and night, some day and night exteriors, and minimal dolly and steady-cam, but no crane or special effect shots.
Can any of you give me an idea of monthly rates for an electric/grip truck, loaded with the basic package? Like I said, at this point ballpark figures will do.
Thanks - Craig

Edited by CraigTarry, 13 May 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#2 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hello, I’m developing a 90min. character driven feature to be shot at one location, a farmhouse, about 45miles from San Francisco. Although actual production is a long ways out, I’m trying to get some ballpark budget figures down.
Lighting/Grip is not my dept, but I can tell you it's at least two-thirds interior, day and night, some day and night exteriors, and minimal dolly and steady-cam, but no crane or special effect shots.
Can any of you give me an idea of monthly rates for an electric/grip truck, loaded with the basic package? Like I said, at this point ballpark figures will do.
Thanks - Craig

10 ton grip $1750/week
10 ton lighting $4000/week

these figures are estimates and rough, you could find it cheaper but walmart doesnt rent lights. Usually big discounts on the front end wind up costing on the back end.

#3 CraigTarry

CraigTarry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Concord, Ca

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

10 ton grip $1750/week
10 ton lighting $4000/week

these figures are estimates and rough, you could find it cheaper but walmart doesnt rent lights. Usually big discounts on the front end wind up costing on the back end.

Thanks a lot I appreciate the input. I'll call around in my area and get some quotes - Craig

#4 Ed Conley

Ed Conley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

You're going to need power for those lights also.

#5 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

I would take all price estimates/advice you get here with a giant grain of salt, unless the person states that they KNOW that's the rate in your area.
As having lived in both Southern California, AND Northern California, I can tell you that the rates differ HUGELY, and that's even IF you can find what you need.
There is not that much available in the N. half of the state, and a lot of companies know this, charge more, and are open fewer hours as well.
Check this all out with actual companies before you start budgeting - don't just ask people on a website!

Matt Pacini

#6 Brent Johnson

Brent Johnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

Check out JCX on Harrison St. Also Calumet, 18th and Bryant I think, is a larger store and might have a better selection. There is also Adolf Gassers which is on 2nd and Mission. If your looking for some crew to help out I live in SF and I have experience in Gaffing/Cam Op, etc... PM or Email me.

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine