#1 Demetry Vasilev

Demetry Vasilev

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

I remember the day this video made it's debut on TV, those amazing warm pastel colors ! Can someone please tell me how was this image processed ? I think it has a noticeable yellow cast to it, and crushed backs. The colors are so vibrant and warm although I don't think it was shot on film. Any Ideas what camera Mark used ? I went to anything that seemed related in google ,but still no result...

02.jpg

#2 Elliot Rudmann

Elliot Rudmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

I remember the day this video made it's debut on TV, those amazing warm pastel colors ! Can someone please tell me how was this image processed ? I think it has a noticeable yellow cast to it, and crushed backs. The colors are so vibrant and warm although I don't think it was shot on film. Any Ideas what camera Mark used ? I went to anything that seemed related in google ,but still no result...

02.jpg

vibrant? if anything I feel it's a bit desaturated, smokey background (00:39) gives more contrast-separation between foreground/background. More of a yellow-green type of warmth, probably supplemented by muted set design. I think most videos back then were shot on 35mm, I can't say for certain regarding this video, but I would think a Janet Jackson video could pull such a budget for 35mm :-)

#3 Demetry Vasilev

Demetry Vasilev

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

Well maybe i didn't choose the right word to describe it. I think you are right about the desaturation.
The scenes are lighted so harsh , that colors seem to pop out. This video was shot just after "Scream" which had a budget around 7 000 000 $, so you are probably right about the 35mm :) Still I cant sleep at night thinking about the post process for that piece of footage. Sorry for my bad english and thanks for your reply.

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

I remember when this video first came out, truly excellent. I always want to say it was probably shot on Fuji stock, but that just may be the color of the lighting influencing the palette and leading me to think that. Fuji does have a special responsiveness to the color tones used, so maybe I'm right.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies