#1 Simona Analte

Simona Analte
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hello,

I'm shooting my first mini-short in a month and I just have two question in regards of how to go about scouting locations.

1. When scouting for locations, does the cinematographer usually brings a gaffer with him? Is it recommended?
If so, should the gaffer come to all the different locations when they are being looked over or only when the location has been chosen for the production?

2. Do you begin scouting locations only when you know your shooting dates? Or is it arranged beforehand?

Thank you!

#2 jun keung cheung

jun keung cheung

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

No the Gaffer doesn't have to come but it can be helpful depending if your lighting needs are out of your hands and you need to know where and how much power you need. Depends on your knowledge of electrics/grips.

No you can scout whenever- though if exterior you might want to know where the sun is come shooting period and where you want to shoot from (i.e. back lit actors with house in the background)- work out your camera positions in relation to. You can always go back.

JC

#3 Simona Analte

Simona Analte
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

No the Gaffer doesn't have to come but it can be helpful depending if your lighting needs are out of your hands and you need to know where and how much power you need. Depends on your knowledge of electrics/grips.

No you can scout whenever- though if exterior you might want to know where the sun is come shooting period and where you want to shoot from (i.e. back lit actors with house in the background)- work out your camera positions in relation to. You can always go back.

JC

Thank you for advice :)

Technodolly

Opal

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC