#1 gino varisano

gino varisano

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

I recently gaffed a film with lots of candle and fire light scenes, which gave me this idea... So I built this device that flickers a light in sync with an actual flame, be it candle or fire... (it is currently set up to handle up to 1.5k but could easily be modified for higher wattages) The sensor, which reads the light levels, is currently attached to a length of speaker wire and is very small (easy to hide in a scene) I guess i'm wondering if anyone would actually use something like this or if people are happy enough with current methods.

Here is a lousy video example I filmed with my droid.

and here is an example in use...

there are dimmers to control high point and low point, as well as two knobs to control the sensitivity of the sensor

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hell I would. Looks really cool. Planning on selling 'em?

Also what type of socket do you have it running into?

#3 PETER KREKLOW

PETER KREKLOW
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Diego

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

I recently gaffed a film with lots of candle and fire light scenes, which gave me this idea... So I built this device that flickers a light in sync with an actual flame, be it candle or fire... (it is currently set up to handle up to 1.5k but could easily be modified for higher wattages) The sensor, which reads the light levels, is currently attached to a length of speaker wire and is very small (easy to hide in a scene) I guess i'm wondering if anyone would actually use something like this or if people are happy enough with current methods.

there are dimmers to control high point and low point, as well as two knobs to control the sensitivity of the sensor

#4 PETER KREKLOW

PETER KREKLOW
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Diego

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

I would by one if it's well made and reliable. E-mail me when you have one available grip@cox.net

#5 gino varisano

gino varisano

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

Currently, a standard edison plug... I don't have the money to legit manufacture them, but I could build one for anyone who wanted one. For about $200 or so...

#6 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Magic gadget has one like that:

http://www.filmandvi...maga2kfldi.html

It doesn't use a sensor but it usually does the trick.

they also have a three channel one.

Best

Tim

#7 Simon Woodley Cave

Simon Woodley Cave

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

sounds cool i just gaffered a simmilar style movie and we just ended up putting everything through a dimmer and controlling it of a laptop.My question is what sensor did you use and how did you attach it to each individual dimmer?

#8 Christopher Husta

Christopher Husta
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Boston MA

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

Hey that looks great! I built something similar but it uses a flame bulb so there's no actually fire and its all self contained. the plans and parts were taken from this link. I used a 1k watt dimmer so it can be used with lights up to 1k. It actually works amazing!

http://www.hauntedil...ightflicker.php

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks