#1 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:12 AM

Hi I am wondering how I can improve my ability to light actors' eyes and still achieve dramatic light. If you look at the first minute of my reel you will see a scene that I believe really needed an eye light. I'd love to hear any tips you have on how I can get that sparkle in actors' eyes without compromising the overall scene lighting. Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:32 AM

Hi I am wondering how I can improve my ability to light actors' eyes and still achieve dramatic light. If you look at the first minute of my reel you will see a scene that I believe really needed an eye light. I'd love to hear any tips you have on how I can get that sparkle in actors' eyes without compromising the overall scene lighting. Thanks

Any light near the lens will create a reflection in the actor's eyes, the main thing is not to let it be strong enough to lower contrast too much. Sometimes it also helps to put some sort of snoot around it to keep it confined to the face.

Sometimes I'll use a Litepanel Micro over the lens, since it is simple to use and attach.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

Because they eyes are so reflective, one of the tricks I have done in past is just to put something white and bright in front of them and/or on the camera. I've done such odd things as, on a close up, having someone hold a piece of white paper off camera, things like that. A china ball on a boom/dimmer can also be useful to move around as needed.

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

CineLab

FJS International, LLC