Photo

Short course: Met Film School or Raindance?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lourenco Barsi Gomes

Lourenco Barsi Gomes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hi there,

I'm thinking of doing a short course in cinematography in London in August/September and I'm just weighing up my choices. I wanted to mention that I took Film Studies at Warwick University and have been working as a video assist in the industry in Brazil for the last 2 years, so I have studied a lot of theory and have also had a considerable amount of exposure to professional sets and equipment. Ultimately, I wanted a course to hone my lighting skills to improve my own projects (music videos, documentaries, short films, etc). Anyway, I've narrowed it down to these two (I know NFTS is better but they didn't have a course during this period).

On the surface, the Met seems better value for money: 3 weeks for £1500 as opposed to Raindance's 3 evenings plus a weekend for £450. But I started looking at the course outline and the Met teaches sound recording as part of the course (which doesn't really interest me and I don't see why it's part of the cinematography course) and only mentions working with the RED camera specifically. The Raindance course, meanwhile, covers both film and digital.

I've heard some mixed reviews about the Met Film School whilst the reviews for Raindance seem to be more positive in general, but I still can't make up my mind. Obviously I can't ask anyone here to do that for me but if anyone has done these courses and could share their experiences, I'd be very grateful.

And apologies for the long post!

Lourenço

#2 Lina Johansson

Lina Johansson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi Lourenco!

What course did you choose? Where you happy with it? I am currently looking at doing the 3 weeks cinematography at Met Film School.

Kind Regards,
Lina

Hi there,

I'm thinking of doing a short course in cinematography in London in August/September and I'm just weighing up my choices. I wanted to mention that I took Film Studies at Warwick University and have been working as a video assist in the industry in Brazil for the last 2 years, so I have studied a lot of theory and have also had a considerable amount of exposure to professional sets and equipment. Ultimately, I wanted a course to hone my lighting skills to improve my own projects (music videos, documentaries, short films, etc). Anyway, I've narrowed it down to these two (I know NFTS is better but they didn't have a course during this period).

On the surface, the Met seems better value for money: 3 weeks for £1500 as opposed to Raindance's 3 evenings plus a weekend for £450. But I started looking at the course outline and the Met teaches sound recording as part of the course (which doesn't really interest me and I don't see why it's part of the cinematography course) and only mentions working with the RED camera specifically. The Raindance course, meanwhile, covers both film and digital.

I've heard some mixed reviews about the Met Film School whilst the reviews for Raindance seem to be more positive in general, but I still can't make up my mind. Obviously I can't ask anyone here to do that for me but if anyone has done these courses and could share their experiences, I'd be very grateful.

And apologies for the long post!

Lourenço

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

I'm even more cautious about this sort of thing than I am doing a degree at a UK film school.

What do you get out of your three weeks that's worth £1500?

P

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Metropolis Post