Arun Kumar Pandey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student
  • FTII, Pune

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:28 AM

This has got to do with the dye layers.

in Negative it is Y-M-C to record B-G-R(reason as i understand is just because red has more wavelength and blue has lesser to penetrate deep in layers, is there any other reason?)

in Positive it is M-Y-C to record G-B-R(now my DOUBT is: Is only human sensitivity to green and register sharpness and detail, only the reason for this layering or is there any other reason too.)

Doest it help in color balance, managing good skin tones(Kodak) or reproducing good green tones(Fuji) by any chance.

And where can i find a good reference on the net?

I hope i have managed to put across the question well.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

http://en.wikipedia....(motion_picture)

Yes, yellow dye is formed in the blue record on the negative, magenta dye formed in the green record, and cyan dye formed in the red record.

#3 Brian Pritchard

Brian Pritchard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Other
  • Stoke-on-Trent, UK

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:07 AM

All emulsions are sensitive to blue light; they are made sensitive to other colours by sensitising dyes.
Colour negative has the blue sensitive layer on top, producing yellow dye, there is then a yellow filter layer to absorb the blue light then there is a green sensitive layer producing magenta dye and finally a red sensitive layer producing cyan dye.

Colour print does not have a yellow filter layer, the layers are sensitised so that the green sensitive layer and the red sensitive layer have a low sensitivity to blue light. The order of the layers is green sensitive producing magenta dye, red sensitive producing cyan dye and at the bottom blue sensitive producing yellow dye. This order is used because the magenta dye contributes the most to visual sharpness whilst the yellow dye contributes the least, With this order you get the visually sharpest result on the screen.
Brian

#4 Arun Kumar Pandey

Arun Kumar Pandey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student
  • FTII, Pune

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, David and Brian for that quick response, it helps to move on for further reading than being stuck and wander.

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

The Slider