#1 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

I am in Louisiana. I seem to be finding difficulties locating a place that develops super 16mm film. (color neg.)

I contacted the place in Dallas that was suppose to be pretty good. I told them that I was going to do some test rolls within the next couple of weeks that need developing and then in the Fall, i was going to do a feature (ultra low budget - like a student, but I'm not a student, lol)... they pretty much blew me off (i believe since i was not a production company, etc..) and said they would call me back.... well never heard back from them...

The second place I contacted is in New Orleans and they say u must submit and 'inquiry' via email about your request and they will get back to you. I sent a nice lil' inquiry ..well, i have yet to hear from them (it's been a few days)

It appears my project or my money is no good to these guys... Basically I just want to get my darn film developed and have a 'master copy' made so i can go from there..... I realize there are several places in Los Angeles but for some reason I was wanting to find a place near Louisiana... felt like I would get better service and my film wouldn't be shipped across the country each time...maybe i should change my thinking on that...lol.

My questions are:

1. Is there a certain 'wording' or processing avenue i should request or take for my request in developing my film??....

2. Do you know of a place that you trust and have good rates that I could get my film developed??...

3. Any other suggestions or advice I need to be aware of when i enter the 'developing of film' stage??

Thanks so much for any suggestions...

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

I would not be afraid of shipping negative within the US we have never seen a fogging problem from shipping film with Fedex or UPS.

I would suggest trying a lab which does more independent film work that will be more responsive to your project.

I am an owner at www.cinelab.com so I am a bit biased, however we are moving the lab to a new facility next week and probably will not be able to fulfill your processing request in the time frame you want.

I would strongly recommend Alpha Cine in Seattle or Colorlab in Maryland either of those labs will treat you right.

-Rob-

#3 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Robert... I will certainly call those places.

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Alpha Cine is great, they also still do 16mm printing

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Tai Audio