#1 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

On this SR2 S16, the 'take up' side has a fancy metal core with a nice little clap to secure the film. I am not familiar with this and I certainly dont believe I will ship this with the film. lol. My question is... while in the changing bag, do i just remove this metal core and insert a plastic one prior to putting it in the can? Gosh, that appears to be one extra step. I would just put a plastic core in its spot, but I don't have a core adapter. Could someone fill me in on how to go about this fancy core? Pic is attached.. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

• take up 1.jpg

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, that's about $400 new from Arri, I think... Been awhile since I bought one. You can pull it off and put the film in the can as normal. Just write "NO CORE" on the can before you send it to the lab. My SR3 has 'em and I used them for awhile, till, well, I got a ton of extra cores. Nice to have in a pinch, though, if-- let's say, the core you had happens to roll someplace....and you, like an idiot, didn't bring any extra ones so you could fit your damned point and shoot in a pocket.... not that that's ever happened to me before or anything.

#3 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

Thanks Adrian... that sounds easy enough.... i'll remove it and write "NO CORE" on the can. That shouldn't pose a problem for the lab I assume...

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

I've never had an issue with it. Of course, after your first roll with the core adapter, you'll have a spare core on the pay-out side, so long as you shoot the whole roll which you can swap over.

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

That is the ARRI collapsable core. The Idea is that sometimes the regulate core gets stuck on the spindle a bit and the film can cone as you remove it from the mag. It is definitely better to stick a regular 2" core inside there after you pull off the film. Otherwise the stick could unspool some in the center and then the lab may end up scratching some film when they try to insert a. Core (which they have to do).

#6 Eric F Adams

Eric F Adams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

That is the ARRI collapsable core. The Idea is that sometimes the regulate core gets stuck on the spindle a bit and the film can cone as you remove it from the mag. It is definitely better to stick a regular 2" core inside there after you pull off the film. Otherwise the stick could unspool some in the center and then the lab may end up scratching some film when they try to insert a. Core (which they have to do).

Mitch, would it matter that the end of the film is not placed in the little slit located on the core once i insert the plastic core in the film? cause that would be hard to do in my little changing bag...lol, I have enough to do in that bag as it is...

Thanks,

Eric

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery