8 replies to this topic

#1 thomas-english

thomas-english
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

Where on earth can I get balanced handwheels. For the life of me all the handwheels I can find are very heavy in the direction of the rotating knob. GearNex, Arri, the motion control guys etc all seem to be able to find them..

Edited by thomas-english, 05 June 2011 - 11:37 AM.

#2 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Where on earth can I get balanced handwheels. For the life of me all the handwheels I can find are very heavy in the direction of the rotating knob. GearNex, Arri, the motion control guys etc all seem to be able to find them..

They don't exist. It's just something you have to deal with. You could take off the knobs but what would be the point? The worse thing is a bent shaft. That can drive an operator crazy and makes the wheel feel more unbalanced. Obviously the most critical thing is a balanced camera but once you tilt down or up the balance changes in either direction.

#3 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

They cast their own ...

Have you thought about counterweighting some of the unbalanced ones ? and/or removing some material from the heavy side ?

#4 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

Often, I would put the gear head in neutral and put the knobs at the bottom, 6 o'clock so they would never move on their own. I just don't see the need for any real changes because you always seem to have your hands on the wheels and that pretty much takes care of any unwanted movement.

#5 thomas-english

thomas-english
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

Thanks,

Yeah I have thought about trying to drill out unbalanced ones or bolting some balancer to the other end. It just seems to me that this is such an obvious industrial need I can't believe they aren't more freely available.

These are more for friction free remote head controllers where when you do let go with unbalanced ones the head just bobs.

Do they really just cast their own? The Varizoom one looks quite well designed:
http://www.bhphotovi...Hand_Wheel.html

#6 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks,

Yeah I have thought about trying to drill out unbalanced ones or bolting some balancer to the other end. It just seems to me that this is such an obvious industrial need I can't believe they aren't more freely available.

These are more for friction free remote head controllers where when you do let go with unbalanced ones the head just bobs.

Do they really just cast their own? The Varizoom one looks quite well designed:
http://www.bhphotovi...Hand_Wheel.html

Ok, I dont know if they cast their own exactly - but I work for a mechanical effects/motion control/gripping outfit at the moment and the wheels we have were designed in house and cast locally - its not that hard really, especially with the facilities those companies would have or have access to to once the budgets are taken into consideration...

The one in the photo looks like it might just have a counterweight on it Posted Image. I for one wouldn't look at your bored out/balanced wheel no matter how cruddy your finish and think anything but 'cool, the guy is thinking'.

I'm building a CNC mill at the moment (VMC style, no poopy gantry for me) - might get some stuff cast then machine out the bits that require the tolerances - get in touch in about a year if you want one ! (I'm thinking old school hammerite in british racing green)

#7 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

I'm building a CNC mill at the moment (VMC style, no poopy gantry for me) - might get some stuff cast then machine out the bits that require the tolerances ...

Didn't the old manual Bridgeports have balanced handles? Not wheels, though.

-- J.S.

#8 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:40 AM

Didn't the old manual Bridgeports have balanced handles? Not wheels, though.

Not sure if they are balanced - the ACME lead screws and the sliding dovetails on the bed have so much friction I would have thought there was no need... Even a nice ballscrew running the load on a linear bearing (CNC) has a heap of preload which would stop them falling under gravity - but yes I agree, they do have a certain symmetry about them Posted Image

#9 William Coss

William Coss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:44 AM

Hotgears makes some very nice ones. Van Nuys, CA

CineLab

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks