#1 Jason Riggs

Jason Riggs

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

I'm interested in getting a very rough quote for a 6 camera stand-up comedy HD shoot.

1. 6 HD cameras with operators (either F900 or Varicams)
2. One 15 - 20 foot jib with operator and one steadicam, the rest on tripods.
3. Do I really need a truck to do this shoot? Couldn't we just give specific instructions to each camera man and then edit in post? Have one camera always keep a close up on the comedian and one always keep a medium shot on the comedian, one camera (steadicam) for crowd shots, one camera for jib shots etc.
4. i need a lighting director to set up lighting the day of the show
5. I need hair and makeup person
6. at least one assistant director and director
7. If the show is two hours long could I just have runners pick up and dump the p2 or other media or would I have to have a truck to run wires to for recording? I definitely want to edit in post.

Anything I'm missing?

Does anyone have a general idea how much a shoot like this would cost in a major market?

Thank you.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:55 AM

First thought is that the F900 shoot on tape. You should consider your overall workflow, otherwise you may have to include the data downloading and the back up costs if you're using tapeless media.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

I would run all the cameras to a video village, if possible, and get those walkie head sets for the ops, so you can see all 6 feeds and give instructions, e/g "camera 1 back off a bit!" No truck needed, really. F900 is tape based so you'd need a tap change in there, but you can record onboard on the cameras.
An option to eliminate all of that would be seeing about tethering the cameras to external recorders. Honestly, I don't know the run time on some of the digital recorders, but you could look it up and see if you can get a 2 hr or so runtime w/o having to offload footage.
Power for cameras will also be a concern, esp for steadycam... not to mention you'd be kinda killing your op if s/he is moving for the whole 2 hours...

#4 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

I dont understand why you need six cameras for a stand up comedy gig ?

#5 Jason Riggs

Jason Riggs

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

I dont understand why you need six cameras for a stand up comedy gig ?

If you watch most stand up comedy specials they all are about 6 camera shoots. You need two to shoot the comedian straight on, one for a close medium shot and another for a head to toe shot, then there is the jib shot, two steadycam shots for crowd reactions and other angles, and a shot from the balcony. So at least 5 cameras.

Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to do this shoot in a major market? I would edit in post.

#6 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

I am just guessing at 15k or so. Obviously, the more gear and such that you rent the lower the price, so if you got everything from one source, you might trim it down a bit. I am calculating the F900s at 1200 per and the operator for each at 300 per. So factor in everything else and 15 even 20 grand isn't far off.

#7 Jason Riggs

Jason Riggs

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

I am just guessing at 15k or so. Obviously, the more gear and such that you rent the lower the price, so if you got everything from one source, you might trim it down a bit. I am calculating the F900s at 1200 per and the operator for each at 300 per. So factor in everything else and 15 even 20 grand isn't far off.

Thanks Chris, is that just for the equipment rental or would it include the director, lighting director, hair and makeup person, etc?

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly