Lighting Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DerekE

DerekE
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

Here's my setup: Music video. DJ in center of gym with turntables and equipment. All the gym lights are out, so it's pitch black in there except for my lighting setup: My initial vision or idea is super-bright white light panels maybe 3 feet by 3 feet or similar, one on the front-left aimed at the DJ and one on the right of the front-right, also aimed at the DJ. These panels are so bright that they clearly light up the DJ's face and equipment in lighting the same color as best buy or wal-mart lights (very whitish, NOT orange). However, since the bleachers, stands, and walls, are so far back, you can't see them so the background looks dark or almost dark. What types of light do I need? And how many? I'm afraid the soft-lights are way too dim, and the spot lights appear too orange and too much like theatre lighting. Any help is appreciated.

#2 Shane Glover

Shane Glover

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

Forget about the color of light - Buy some CTO and CTB gel and adjust to suit/match whatever light source powerful enough for your needs you have available.

#3 Nathan Blair

Nathan Blair
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

What type of budget are you working with? Litepanels 1x1 series might be a good option for you. You can connect them together to form larger squares. www.litepanels.com.

Either that, or maybe some Kinos? If you need large soft lights you could consider Flatheads or Parabeams gelled with diffusion?

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Opal

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks