#1 Austin Michaels

Austin Michaels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Arizona

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

I am filming a scene inside of a warehouse where it will have basic lighting.

There will be a huge 15x15ft glass, plexy glass or something for the 2 actors to write on with a silver pen. In the end it will have the whole 15x15ft glass filled with writing.

My main question is how to not get reflection of the lights on the glass. Is there a type of glass that reduces reflection? Since the key light might be passing threw the glass.

Is there a glass that is great to write on and erase? We are getting 2 pieces just in case something happens to the first.

Also getting the cameras reflection, since alot of it is looking straight on. Is it just as simple as just blacking everything out behind the glass?

I attached a reference pic that i got off the internet.

Attached Images

• glass.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

No special glass needed (or affordable anyway at that size) just black everything off that the glass is facing -- think big.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

No special glass needed (or affordable anyway at that size) just black everything off that the glass is facing -- think big.

I'd add that if you were going to use a top soft light for the key but semi-frontal, so forward of the sheet of glass, it would help if the glass was slightly tipped towards the camera to help keep overhead lights off of the reflection. To some degree, the white cyc background will hide a lot of reflections except the area of the frame containing the darker clothes of the actor.

#4 Austin Michaels

Austin Michaels
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Arizona

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:33 PM

Yeah i was thinking of turning the glass to hide the reflections a bit. But there will not be a white cyc background. It will have a warehouse look that falls into blackness. But the only thing to do is move the glass and the camera to the correct angle to hide reflections. Possible put a polarizer on? Thanks for the responses!

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

Yeah i was thinking of turning the glass to hide the reflections a bit. But there will not be a white cyc background. It will have a warehouse look that falls into blackness. But the only thing to do is move the glass and the camera to the correct angle to hide reflections. Possible put a polarizer on? Thanks for the responses!

Pola won't do much if the camera is mostly flat-on to the glass, only if the camera is at a 45 degree angle to the glass.

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Metropolis Post