• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 9537 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

Say I was shooting a sci-fi piece in which I was absolutely committed to using strobe lights, flickering fluorescent tubes, gunfire, and other brief duration lighting effects that don't agree with rolling-shutter cameras. Let's also assume that I'm not happy with workarounds such as cutting in frames of an illuminated scene, or tweaking up in postproduction.

This is a show that would have been a 5D job under any other circumstances.

What cameras are there which have:

a: a global shutter, and

b: a price point somewhat comparable with a 5D

There isn't anything, is there. Red has made rolling shutter OK. Bah!

P

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

On the other hand, Red has staked out a price/performance point that makes it possible to do projects that couldn't have been funded before. So, let the good times -uh- roll....? ;-)

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 15962 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

Say I was shooting a sci-fi piece in which I was absolutely committed to using strobe lights, flickering fluorescent tubes, gunfire, and other brief duration lighting effects that don't agree with rolling-shutter cameras. Let's also assume that I'm not happy with workarounds such as cutting in frames of an illuminated scene, or tweaking up in postproduction.

This is a show that would have been a 5D job under any other circumstances.

What cameras are there which have:

a: a global shutter, and

b: a price point somewhat comparable with a 5D

There isn't anything, is there. Red has made rolling shutter OK. Bah!

P

Wouldn't a CCD video camera have less of a problem? There must still be some cheap HD cameras that use CCD's instead of CMOS sensors.

#4 Martin Hong

Martin Hong
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

Wouldn't a CCD video camera have less of a problem? There must still be some cheap HD cameras that use CCD's instead of CMOS sensors.

CMOS has gone mainstream.. I dont know much HD camera that comes with CCD anymore.. except those cameras that state 3ccd on the body.

#5 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Indeed, three chip cameras tend to be CCD (2/3" and under), while large single chips (35mm film-ish size) tend to be CMOS.

Most CCD's get their immunity to rolling by having two frames worth of sites, one of which takes the picture, the other is there to store it and read it out. The "pulldown" from the sensor area to the covered storage/readout area is extremely fast. CMOS can't do that rapid shift trick, it has only the single sensor frame's worth of photosites.

To make a 35-ish size CCD, you'd have to get two frames worth of good photosites on the same chip to make one camera, which would be a big yield problem for the chip foundry. Theoretically it could be done, but it would be expensive. Genesis and Sony's F-35 are CCD, I don't remember offhand if they use the full frame storage technique, or just a fast column readout.

-- J.S.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 9537 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Viper certainly did it like that.

P

Zylight

K5600 Lighting

Glidecam