#1 Monty Chan

Monty Chan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:54 PM

Need help to decide either a set of Cooke Panchro includes 25,32,50,75, 100 or the standard primes 16, 28, 40, 60 *macro, 85, 100, 180. I recently got budget for either set. I have rented the standard prime before. The images were consistantly very good and not a huge different compared to the ultra prime. I heard that the New Panchros are also great but with 1 stop slower. I'm leaning towards the used zeiss considering the set is cheaper and 1 stop faster. But really want to hear what you guys think about these two set.
I appreciate your comments.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:40 AM

Need help to decide either a set of Cooke Panchro includes 25,32,50,75, 100 or the standard primes 16, 28, 40, 60 *macro, 85, 100, 180. I recently got budget for either set. I have rented the standard prime before. The images were consistantly very good and not a huge different compared to the ultra prime. I heard that the New Panchros are also great but with 1 stop slower. I'm leaning towards the used zeiss considering the set is cheaper and 1 stop faster. But really want to hear what you guys think about these two set.
I appreciate your comments.

Personally I would go with the Pancros, I like the cooke look. You have modern lenses with good lens spacing. 10 years ago you could not give away a set of Standards!
The wide Sandards porthole with digital sensors so you have to stop down to T2.8 or more in any case.

#3 Monty Chan

Monty Chan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:55 AM

Personally I would go with the Pancros, I like the cooke look. You have modern lenses with good lens spacing. 10 years ago you could not give away a set of Standards!
The wide Sandards porthole with digital sensors so you have to stop down to T2.8 or more in any case.

Thank for your reply Stephen. I have seen the zeiss std spd 16mm on epic 4k, no porthole was seen. I like the cooke look too, but 2.8 might be little slow for me, since I shoot mostly closeup and low light. I don't know if anyone has compared cooke panchro and the S4. The reason why I consider the zeiss standard prime, because it is very very sharp even comparing to the ultra prime.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:17 AM

Thank for your reply Stephen. I have seen the zeiss std spd 16mm on epic 4k, no porthole was seen. I like the cooke look too, but 2.8 might be little slow for me, since I shoot mostly closeup and low light. I don't know if anyone has compared cooke panchro and the S4. The reason why I consider the zeiss standard prime, because it is very very sharp even comparing to the ultra prime.

The 16mm portholes on Red Ome, set the lens wide open & look at a white / grey background. Stop down to 2.8/4 & it's gone. It's there for sure if you look!

#5 Monty Chan

Monty Chan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

you're right stephen, tested at the studio this morning with the 16mm. It does portholes unless stopping down 1 or 2 stop. Do you think 24/28/32 will also portholes at 4K? We only have a 16mm at this moment, and the 40mm/50mm look fine.

#6 Ignacio Aguilar

Ignacio Aguilar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madrid, Spain

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

The 16mm Zeiss Standard portholes very obviously on Red One (4k), but the 24mm works well wide-open (I haven't tested it just to see if it portholes, but my footage, which was shot in low-light with lots of shadows, was OK, so if it portholes it wasn't that obvious).

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

The 16mm Zeiss Standard portholes very obviously on Red One (4k), but the 24mm works well wide-open (I haven't tested it just to see if it portholes, but my footage, which was shot in low-light with lots of shadows, was OK, so if it portholes it wasn't that obvious).

From my testing the 24 was fine by 2.8 on a grey background at 2.1 it was noticeable.

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab