#1 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

What F-stops and Focal lengths do you tend to use for coverage? Please list the shot type, focal length and aperture

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

That's kind of a vague question.

As a very general rule, you might shoot wides on a 25mm or 32mm, Mediums on a 40mm or 50mm, and close coverage on a 75mm or 100mm. Then again, there is no reason why you can't shoot closeups on 25mm if that is the look you are going for. I've shot wides on a 100mm. You just use whatever is appropriate for your story. Same goes for the stop, you use whatever stop gives you the DoF you've decided you need.

Was this a homework question?

#3 Deji Joseph

Deji Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

That's kind of a vague question.

As a very general rule, you might shoot wides on a 25mm or 32mm, Mediums on a 40mm or 50mm, and close coverage on a 75mm or 100mm. Then again, there is no reason why you can't shoot closeups on 25mm if that is the look you are going for. I've shot wides on a 100mm. You just use whatever is appropriate for your story. Same goes for the stop, you use whatever stop gives you the DoF you've decided you need.

Was this a homework question?

Sorry about the wording, I was shooting with a Canon 7D which has a similar sized sensor at F2.8 with a 17-55 zoom and cropping to 2.35 in post, but found the depth to be too shallow and was wondering what others used. I found for decent DOF 4-5.6 was a good range. would you agree with this?

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

It's personal taste thing. if you prefer more DOF you'll like the f4-5.6 range, many people prefer a shallower DOF, so shoot at f2.8 or wider aperture. I know DPs who shoot at both ends of that spectrum, although for interiors they tend to be at the wider apertures.

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

Many DPs, particularly on fast moving TV shows, will use a deeper stop for long lens shots to reduce the possibility of focus buzzes. When the schedule is tight, it's better to get the shot sharp than insist on razor thin DoF.

CineLab

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal