2 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hey All. I'm normally a Kodak guy, but I just wrapped a short here in New Mexico on the F64D, S16mm, nice little picture. Sadly, I didn't have time/money for a film test prior to going with the Fuji (for costs and because I wanted something, well not Kodak). My question is thus; just to put my mind at ease, exposing by the can, about how much under/over can it go? I'm 99% sure I always stayed in ballpark +2 -2, but for a few uncontrolled scenes, I'd like to know ideas of over room and under.
Thanks all.

P.s. Like the hat?

Attached Images

• 254207_10100232576746213_8207009_48755066_4963662_n.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

Hey All. I'm normally a Kodak guy, but I just wrapped a short here in New Mexico on the F64D, S16mm, nice little picture. Sadly, I didn't have time/money for a film test prior to going with the Fuji (for costs and because I wanted something, well not Kodak). My question is thus; just to put my mind at ease, exposing by the can, about how much under/over can it go? I'm 99% sure I always stayed in ballpark +2 -2, but for a few uncontrolled scenes, I'd like to know ideas of over room and under.
Thanks all.

P.s. Like the hat?

It doesn't have a lot of latitude for underexposure and in general, it's a somewhat contrasty stock compared to Kodak 50D. I shot most of the exteriors of "Astronaut Farmer" on F64D, but that was in 35mm anamorphic. It has a nice snappy look.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

I keep meaning to watch that David; one of these days. I tried to keep things to +3 and -3 at the worst, and some shots, I know it'll be black into the light, but we liked the idea. I'm glad it's snappier than Kodak, i'm getting kinda sick of how bland it can be. My big concern is garage door, white, at a 32! when I'm stuck on an 11.5, but if it blows, it blows and we're ok with that. It's kind of sad I've been on digital so much so anymore that I'm rusty on film :/

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC