Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

The new Barry Lyndon Blu-ray is presented (according to the packaging) in 1.85:1, however most Kubrick fans believe it was intended to be shown 1.66:1.

Blogger Glenn Kenny has uncovered a letter that Kubrick signed and delivered to exhibitors asking them to project it at 1.66:1, the aspect ratio it was photographed in.

View the letter here.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

Yes, a rather amusing thread of comments re the "1-1:75", that being a non standard aspect ratio at the time (there being no close 16:9). I wonder if there was a series of tests run at the time to check this figure for those theatres that had quirky projector masks, perhaps as 1:66/1;85 one size fits all.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:25 AM

Just checked, there was an early wide screen aspect ratio of 1:75:1 mostly used by MGM & Warner Bros between 1953 and 1955.

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

It was hard matted at 1.66. One of the frame enlargements at that ratio even has a hair in the gate.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:24 AM

I believe quite a few films have a 1.66 camera gate, even though they're framed for 1.85.

I've worked films that have an open gate, while framing for 1.85... saved retakes because hairs. Although it did cause problems with one short where at one venue the projectors only had 1.33 and black velvet had to be hung to give the 1.85 ratio. Doing that saved the embarrassment of seeing the boom mic coming into frame during one shot - safe up to 1:66, but not 1:33.

BTW "Badlands" does a good full mic boom across the top of the frame in one wide shot when screened at 1.33.

#6 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

I believe quite a few films have a 1.66 camera gate, even though they're framed for 1.85.

I've worked films that have an open gate, while framing for 1.85... saved retakes because hairs. Although it did cause problems with one short where at one venue the projectors only had 1.33 and black velvet had to be hung to give the 1.85 ratio. Doing that saved the embarrassment of seeing the boom mic coming into frame during one shot - safe up to 1:66, but not 1:33.

BTW "Badlands" does a good full mic boom across the top of the frame in one wide shot when screened at 1.33.

I remember the film COMA with Genevieve Bujold had an extremely obvious boom mike in one shot when shown in 1.33:1 that seemed to last forever .

One of the rep theater in Montreal had a habit of showing films in 1.33:1. Saw The Shining there. To the best of my recollection, it was perfect, except for the notorious helicopter rotor blades in the opening!

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

#7 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

OT, I know, but I don't think I'd have noticed that in a shot with Genevieve Bujold in it.

#8 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

OT, I know, but I don't think I'd have noticed that in a shot with Genevieve Bujold in it.

I meant Bujold was in the movie, not necessarily in the shot with the mic in it.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam