3 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

Subject matter is kangaroos filmed at 54 fps. All the filming took place on a rural property in South Australia. Film stock was Ektachrome 64T.

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:01 AM

Subject matter is kangaroos filmed at 54 fps. All the filming took place on a rural property in South Australia. Film stock was Ektachrome 64T.

Is it dangerous to be around kangaroos? Those legs must pack quite a punch from all of that bouncing.

I liked the speed choice of 54 fps, I'm curious if you were exposed wide open because it looks like you metered for normal filming speed and when you switched to the 54, the meter did not compensate.

#3 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

Is it dangerous to be around kangaroos? Those legs must pack quite a punch from all of that bouncing.

Oh yea, they have powerful hind legs...that's for sure. Some of these roos are getting used to our human presence up to a certain extent. I haven't encountered any particularly aggressive ones as yet. Though one of them chased our chickens when they got too close! On the odd occasion, we do see some huge roos around here - really bulky with massive shoulders. I don't get close to those ones! The really big roos don't seem to fear anything, whereas the smaller roos hop away when a person gets close. Actually, a few years ago, there was a kid attacked by a kangaroo at a golf course. Someone swung a golf club at the roo and that had no effect at all.

I liked the speed choice of 54 fps, I'm curious if you were exposed wide open because it looks like you metered for normal filming speed and when you switched to the 54, the meter did not compensate.

All the footage in that clip was shot at 54 fps though to me, it looks like there is some slight variation in speed between some of the shots. I used manual exposure for all the footage and exposed for the 54 fps setting. Ya, it looks like there were a few occasions where a little underexposure crept it's way in. I used the camera's internal meter for one or two shots but most of the time, I used an external meter...and yes, I did compensate for the beam splitter light loss. I can't recall the f stops I was using but I don't think I was shooting wide open.

#4 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:42 AM

Oh speaking of powerful legs, I just remembered something. I was watching a fight between two big roos over here last year. Every time one of them landed a kick on their opponent, there was quite a loud "whack!" Then one of them grabbed the other and they ended up on the ground, rolling around together and wrestling. I grabbed my camcorder for this one but my pet sheep kept getting in the way.

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Opal

Abel Cine

Visual Products