1 reply to this topic

#1 Dillon C Novak

Dillon C Novak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Grip

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

Is there a forum anywhere on the internet or book that shows you a variety of tasks and ways to effectively accomplish them.

Example from a set I gripped last week: (DP wants all of the windows for a kitchen scene to be blacked out, but he also wants a 2K moonlight source coming in from outside one of the windows)

My Solution: We set up a 4X4 floppy which we pony clamped the draping end to the roof above the window he wanted and raised the flat end above the where we were going to place the light (so that when we visqueened everything the light had plenty of space to breathe without melting anything). We then set up a Junior Fresnel on a triple riser/junior stand and put one sheet of Full and then another of Quarter CTB to get his moonlight. We then draped a 30X30 solid over the floppy to cover the window with the light on it, sealing the light with tape/ponyclamps/drawstrings. We then visqueened the other windows.

It was a lot of work to get one light coming through that window, where as if there was nothing it would have been a simple visqueen job. I'm not sure if it was the most efficient way to do it, but it would be amazing if there was a forum or a book for various common tasks and ways to effectively tackle them.

Also, please let me know if there was an easier way to do this. Thanks guys.

#2 John David Miller

John David Miller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Grip
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

There is always an easier way to do things but easier is almost never best.

If you gave your DP what he was looking for in a timely manner and nobody got hurt then what else can you ask for.

I personally like to build a 12x tent. This is quite simple and fast with 12x20 solids and speedclips. I do this to give a DP room to play with the angle and distance of the light. Adding diffusion or branch gags is simple. It is easy for the DP to visualise what I am going to have ready for him during the scout so there aren't any suprises come time to shoot. I do not carry 30x30 solids on my trucks. I do not use visqueen for blackouts. I am fortunate not to have budget concerns so I stick with duvetyne. Duvetyne doesn't get ripped as easy, it is quiet (for sound), and is flame resistant. Visqueen is for dire emergencies.

Being resourceful is a big part of being a grip. There is no cookie cutter way to do any given job. They are all a little different. I tend to stay away from the "gimmick" gear that has only one use. Instead, my trucks are set up to be very modular. Your space is limited so choose your gear wisely.

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

CineLab

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc