#1 Paul Brenno

Paul Brenno
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Dakota

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

I was watching the special edition DVD for " Dances with Wolves ", the portion about Dean Semler's oscar winning Cinemtography. They interviewed Production Designer Jeffrey Beecroft who quoted a great line;
(About Dean's lighting)..." you can have great sets, but if you don't have great light, you can't see 'em..."....I love this quote, since you also need great actors, great direction and a great story to light too !!!!

Edited by Paul Brenno, 24 June 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#2 Steve London

Steve London
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:46 AM

I was watching the special edition DVD for " Dances with Wolves ", the portion about Dean Semler's oscar winning Cinemtography. They interviewed Production Designer Jeffrey Beecroft who quoted a great line;
(About Dean's lighting)..." you can have great sets, but if you don't have great light, you can't see 'em..."....I love this quote, since you also need great actors, great direction and a great story to light too !!!!

I like that quote too and DWW is a truly beautiful movie in every respect I can think of.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Of course, the opposite can also be said. All the great lighting in the world won't do muc of anything without a well-done set.

#4 Scott Copeland

Scott Copeland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Other
  • Savannah Ga

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

Been awhile since I've seen "Dances...", but I can remember a shot with Costner on the roof of his hut, clearly(?) done in a studio. He's reading and there's a voice over. Anyone remember this part? I seem to remember that part being cheesy and not too natural. What might have been the cause of this incongruity??

-S

#5 Paul Brenno

Paul Brenno
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Dakota

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

Scott there are no shots of Kevin on his sod hut reading his journal, except one shot with a butte in the background....that was ALL real locations, nothing was shot in studio or used in front of a green screen....one shot of a buffalo trail was used in matte work, but that was the only one.....

Metropolis Post

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Glidecam

Technodolly