#1 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:10 AM

This year was our first year of membership; what a wonderful event, group of people.

Certain things can and can't be said from what I saw and heard there. Will be posting a complete review and photos after I get back home.

But, to briefly run down, it was disappointing to NOT be able to meet Dominic Case in person.

Was heartening to see new stock improvements from Kodak, Fuji, Kodak's continued innovation in improving its Vision line of print film, 2383 and '93, to adapt it to the current market.

Good to see representatives from Scotland, England, India, Brazil, Paris, California, Cleveland, and several other countries in attendence.

Had an opportunity, personally, to touch R2D2, see ILM's screening room, meet their projectionist (with a 35mm changeover projection system no less!) and be in one of the most quiet rooms I've ever been in: Dolby Lab's screening room.

Good to see an Arri Alexa up close.

Great to have advise, support from other labs, suppliers in this trying time for "chemical film." Just so that all your filmmakers know how hard we all work (and party!) will post some pictures of the event. . . as soon as I get the film developed ;-)

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

Here are just a few photos I've been able to throw up on Photobucket from the conference:

Posted Image
Eastman Kodak's new lineup of intermediate films, print stocks, and replacement of 5260 with 5230, an improved economy option 500T film, demonstrated by Michael Ryan of EK Rochester, NY

Posted Image
Ujwal Nirgudkar Tech Director of Film Lab in Mumbai, India and Kevin Dillon, President of ACVL pose for a portrait.

Posted Image
Lab owners and industry reps examine an Arri Alexa up close.

Posted Image
Tyson Birmann demonstrates the Alexa.

Posted Image
James Hirano of FujiFilm goes over the Vivid, Eterna, CP product lines, as well as their new on-set color calibration and control tool, set for release by late 2011, early 2012. George Gush of FujiFilm (not pictured), also introduced a new B&W sep. film rated twenty-nine HUNDRED years. Had there been 35mm film in the time of Jesus Christ, Tutankhamen, it would still be around today if stored in a safe place.

Posted Image
Cocktails after the opening reception. Carla Ribiero of Techniform, David Wright of Photomec Ltd., forget her name (sorry!) a laboratory representative from central America, and Daniel Hernandez of New Art Laboratories, S.A. de C.V., Mexico

Posted Image
Closing dinner. Carla, George Marques, and Silvia Rabello Directora de LaboCine, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Posted Image
George and Silvia converse with a representative of Windense Ltd. of Scotland at the closing dinner.

Posted Image
Small talk at the end of the vendor's exhibit about the state of the industry. Ted Langdell of Flashscan 8 at left.

Posted Image
Peter Bulcke, ACVL Treasurer, Al Lansdale of American Film & Tape, and Michael Ruffolo of CTI Chicago.

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image
Ted Langdell, CEO of Flashscan 8 US demonstrates his HD film transfer system to John Carlson of Monacco Digital Film Labs.

Posted Image
The Windense booth, Bob Spies at left, Mike Howell at right with their new in-line photo densitometer; a very impressive accomplishment, reads control stripes (not strips) to run processing control right out of the processor, eliminating a separate quality control step. Above and beyond a standard ECN-2 "sensi" it tests process uniformity and one other variable for the utmost in ECN-2 or color print quality control.

Posted Image
Carla Ribeiro (spelled incorrectly in my last post? sorry) at the Techniform booth at the vendor exhibit. They offer for sale a wide variety of processing tyres (boy, you use funny spellings across the pond!), rollers, and PTRs to minimize dust and dirt accumulation on both polyester and acetate base.

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio