Eve Hazelton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

Posted previously about potentially using a dry for wet technique on the next project we are working on. http://www.theunderwaterrealm.com/

Still looking into the dry for wet technique idea, but now broadening horizons to potentially using a led projector which can project the caustic patterns we require.

So far I am yet to find a projector that doesn't look utter rubbish! However, I have seen a mechanised system that rotates a piece of pattern glass over a metal gobo in front of a light. This has been the best "effect" of underwater light simulation I have seen yet....but it was only on a very small scale, and I need something that is going to be MUCH bigger!"

Does anyone have any ideas/ suggestions on how I could maybe get this to work on a larger scale, and how I may go about manufacturing something like this. OR does anyone have any experience with the LED "ocean" projectors?

Many Thanks in advance!
E

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

I've never used an LED projector (are there LED projectors of any size and brightness?), but you might be able to do it with any video projector - if you can deal with the rather low levels of light that are generally available. Caustics footage can be rendered out of many CG programs or purchased as stock.

You could also do it for real, with pans of water and lights bouncing off. You might need some really big mirrors, though, to make it look like it's coming from above. Or, you could use transparent trays. Coming through smoke, that might look pretty good, come to think of it.

Personally I'd project it digitally through very very light haze, as was done for the models in The Hunt for Red October. Be careful about projector refresh rates.

I've always wanted to work on something like that...

P

#3 John David Miller

John David Miller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Grip
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:21 PM

A 5 pack of 12"x12" mirror tile from home depot goes a long way. Take a hammer to them and lay the broken pieces into your reflection pan (mirror facIng the light of course). A word of advice, use the biggest pan possible. This helps get nice long rhythmic patterns that are somewhat controllable, whereas a tiny pan will look like "the perfect storm" with just a slight bit of agitation to the water.

#4 Ed Conley

Ed Conley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

http://www.24frame.com/24/site.nsf/

Try this place- they may have a Projector suitable

#5 Michael E Brown

Michael E Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

I've done this type of effect before with moving lights. We used the Martin Mac2000 Performace that has the animation wheels - BIG difference. Two gobos in an upper end fixture is good, but a decent broken glass gobo spinning + animation wheel is awesome. The MacIII is out now which has a single animation wheel but much brighter and wider zoom (50deg). Haze helps sell the light beams through the water but you have to be careful of what else it exposes.

Where are you located? Some types of fixtures may be harder to source than others.

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport