7 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Syverson

Ben Syverson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

I'm slowly teaching myself CAD, so I thought I would tackle an adapter to convert the Eyemo's Eymax mount to M42. Aluminum versions do exist, but they're exceptionally rare.

So, I just sent this off to get 3D printed, and if it works, I'll make sure it's available to anyone who wants one!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

How are you having it made?

#3 Ben Syverson

Ben Syverson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:05 PM

How are you having it made?

I'm doing two—one is FDM (ABS, coarse resolution but very strong) and the other is MJM (translucent acrylic, extremely fine resolution). I'll use the MJM to verify the design, and hopefully the FDM will work for actual use.

FDM is extruded in 0.2mm layers, so I'm not sure how well it will render an M42×1 thread mount, but hopefully it's close enough that screwing in a lens will force the threads open. Either way, the front may need to be sanded slightly to get the flange distance just right...

#4 Ben Syverson

Ben Syverson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Well, I got the part today, and it looks like everything fits! The FDM version couldn't be manufactured because I made the wall thickness too small, but the MJM looks fantastic. I'm blown away by the detail they were able to achieve—the M42 × 1mm thread was smooth and worked the first time. Anyone who has had a 3D print made knows how crazy that is.

Now I just need to shoot a test roll to confirm infinity focus.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Alex Nelson

Alex Nelson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hey Ben,

I've been printing camera accessories with Shapeways as well. There's a firm in Maryland that can nickel-coat 3D printed parts to give them a little more strength: http://www.repliforminc.com/home.htm
By the way, what CAD package are you using? I've had enough of AutoCAD and I'm looking for a replacement.

#6 Ricardo Faria Costa Leite

Ricardo Faria Costa Leite

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hello, i've 2 Eyemos 35mm, only one works, i have 3 lenses, but they are all very hard to focus, i'm really interested in buying or doing an adapter for M42, can you help me on this? Did anyone made one in a stronger material? Because i suppose that this model you show here also lets the light get into the frame, right? But anyway, this is great... Congratulations

#7 Ricardo Faria Costa Leite

Ricardo Faria Costa Leite

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

But is it precise, i mean does the focus work well? Because if it does, this is really great, it's been a long time since (10 years) i don't use the Autocad, or i would be already doing one myself, so i'm really waiting for news from you...

#8 Ivan Sarenas

Ivan Sarenas

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

Hi, the posted images have disappeared. Could someone repost and or send the shapeways link, thanks!

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Abel Cine

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks