6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Ditto

Robert Ditto
  • Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hello everyone!

I own an H16 J which was fitted with the aftermarket saddle for the 400ft mags when I purchased it for $35USD. Since then I have invested another $100 USD converting it to reflex with a 10x viewfinder by picking up Bolex bodies listed as dead or parts. After all that, I would have to say it is probably the best camera I have. It's lighter than the usual Bolex and quieter.
So, I have been searching for more of these cameras but can't find them, in the past 3 years of searching ebay I have only came across two of them. Does anyone know where I could find more of these gems in the rough? Are they really that rare that you'll only see them from time to time? Also, I would love to hear from other J users, thoughts, and experiences.

Sincerely, Respectfully,
Robert M. Ditto

#2 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

First time I ever saw one of these was on a JK optical printer. It was fitted with JK's rack-over reflex system. I suspect Bolex made a certain quantity of them especially at the request of JK for use on his printers. Some of the early bank security cameras that actually shot of film used them also.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

#3 Robert Ditto

Robert Ditto
  • Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

So they are pretty rare then. That's disheartening, for no more than $150USD, I have essentially the equivalent to an SBM, without the the spring motor of course. And I kind of like the fact that it doesn't have the leatherette. Stands out in a crowd. Speaking of crowd, I just saw that picture you posted "a few of my bolexes" while back on the 'Lets see you Bolex' thread, THAT was a truly wonderous sight, if I could blow that up,I would make a poster for my office wall.

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have a couple, one was bought for the gate and roller spares for a super16 conversion - the other was super16'd and had a stepper put on it for an intervalometer

I got mine for I think about $100 and $25

I hardly ever mentioned them here as I wanted to keep the secret mum Posted Image

They are pretty much the best Bolex for anyone inclined to cut into one for modification.

#5 Patrick McCoole

Patrick McCoole

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Have picked up on your posting (a few years ago) on adapting Model J's for filming and the benefits of a light-weight body.

Can I ask what motors are suitable for the Model J ?.

#6 Rene Renault

Rene Renault

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hello everyone!

I own an H16 J which was fitted with the aftermarket saddle for the 400ft mags when I purchased it for $35USD. Since then I have invested another $100 USD converting it to reflex with a 10x viewfinder by picking up Bolex bodies listed as dead or parts. After all that, I would have to say it is probably the best camera I have. It's lighter than the usual Bolex and quieter.
So, I have been searching for more of these cameras but can't find them, in the past 3 years of searching ebay I have only came across two of them. Does anyone know where I could find more of these gems in the rough? Are they really that rare that you'll only see them from time to time? Also, I would love to hear from other J users, thoughts, and experiences.

Sincerely, Respectfully,
Robert M. Ditto

You can find these in industrial auction lots. If you look hard.

They were used back in the day as bank security cameras and other such things.

Very nice rendition of a classic cam!

Rene

#7 Robert Ditto

Robert Ditto
  • Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Tobin motor from Duall camera. Crystal Control, fits easily to the body, but hurry before he sells out of them.

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

FJS International, LLC