7 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi,

I just came across two carts of Vision 200T neg and one Kodachrome 40.

Been in a loft in the dark and (usually reasonably) cool for at least 3 years. I presume the Kodachrome is irrelevant now that it can't be processed.

If there's any chance of it being any use to anyone, please let me know and you can have it for cost of shipping.

P

#2 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Spectra film in Hollywood will process K40 film as a black and white negative but it's ridiculously expensive and has a 3 month turnaround. But if your stock is free...awesome! I would take it off your hands but I don't have an S8 camera anymore :(

#3 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

Wow, how I wish I had that 200t a month ago. B)

#4 Martin Baumgarten

Martin Baumgarten
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Plattsburgh, New York U.S.A.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

Hi, film stored in a loft (attic) can most often be subjected to high heat in summer periods, and this will have very damaging effects on photographic film. But, if for some reason it was air conditioned and has been cool, the KODACHROME if of late manufacture might still be okay (albeit only processable in some variation of B&W: high contrast neg, continous tone neg, B&W Reversal, or Sepia tone reversal). The color negative stocks are more critical and should've been refridgerated at the very least for such a long duration. However, despite some contrast loss, fog build up, and some color shifting, you might still get something useable for experimentation out of them.

Since this information on processing KODACHROME is somewhat hard to find, I have to mention it here, that I offer processing of these films at Plattsburgh Photographic Services. So many now think all KODACHROME is a lost cause, and that is not the case. There must still be tons of SOUND film out there, while no longer processable as Color Reversal, it's great having sound film in B&W (or the rich deep brown tones of Sepia). Anyhow, enough of the plug, I don't care if anyone sends me film for processing or not, the main issue is....IF the KODACHROME is still good, it can be used and processed. Hopefully soon, there will be some affordable processing by a major lab somewhere....so keep it on ice so to speak and DO NOT toss it out!

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

I suspect it's pretty screwed up. Anyway, this stock has gone to New York and I wish the user the best of luck!

P

#6 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

I suspect it's pretty screwed up. Anyway, this stock has gone to New York and I wish the user the best of luck!

P

Thanks!

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

I really shouldn't have given that away, should I...

And the moral of this story is: it's OK to keep ISO200 film in the loft for three years!

P

#8 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks!

Art, you monster! YOU got it? Ohhhh.... I am so jealous. :lol:

Tai Audio

Abel Cine