1 reply to this topic

#1 David Grantham

David Grantham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

If my lovely 70-210 Angenieux f3.5 (nice shallow dof) Leica R mount lens is adapted to a GH2, x2 (the nature of the 4/3rds adaptation) it becomes a 140 - 420.

If I put a .2x fish eye converter in front, it's now a 28 - 84 f 3.5 ; the specs I'm looking for, but with the shallow DOF of the telephoto (which I think could be great for what I need.) (Perhaps at the expense of decresing the sharpness by magnifying the imperfections of the fisheye.)

I wonder if I'm predicting the results accurately... Thoughts welcome. There's nowhere nearby with the gear to test it.

#2 Garry Torrance

Garry Torrance
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Scotland

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

There's another thread in the DSLR forum titled 'crop factor with cine lenses', which has a spot-on comment by David Mullen about why it's awkward to think about crop factors in the way you describe. Putting a fisheye adapter on a telephoto zoom won't give you good results: as well as the loss of image quality, you lose the depth-of-field too. Depth-of-field is directly affected by focal length regardless of whether you got to that focal length using a wacky combination of lenses and adapters or just using one lens. Any type of lens set to 28mm/f3.5 on a Micro 43 sensor will give you the same depth-of-field, so you'd be better off just using a wide zoom with a large aperture. If you put a wide-angle adapter on a telephoto zoom, you'll notice the image starts to go soft and foggy as you approach the telephoto end of the lens.

Visual Products

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post