#1 John Giacoppe

John Giacoppe

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere- if so direct me there please. This is my first time posting here so my apologies. To the point- me and my buds have decided to film on Super 8. We thought we knew all we needed to know after a quick wikipedia search. It turns out we where hideously wrong. We do not have a digital camera so there is no turning back now. My camera is a Bell and Howell 308 Autoload that films Silent and presumably Black and White. ASA and other such terms mean nothing to me so please, explain anything and everything. Thanks to all who help bail me out of this.

#2 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Google is your friend. I began shooting on Super8 late last year, but before I came here to ask questions, I did a lot of reading.

You need to search Super 8mm on Google and just spend a couple of days reading. You have to learn the basics of shooting film before you do anything. Or come here asking for help.

Tough love works. Trust me.

#3 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director
  • The Northlands of Sweden

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:14 AM

The web is a great resourse for the basics - I suggest you start by looking up your camera - all the tech info you need -
http://www.super8data.com/ - click on the camera icon and find Bell & Howell - click on the model number and bingo!

Looks like your camera is a pretty old example that also requires a seperate cell battery for the light meter - and also might not recognise many of the current filmstocks.

I recommend that you shoot a test roll with your camera before you start shooting anything serious! You need to know that your camera works!

Do some test and a bit of research and some tests and then come back to us here.

#4 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director
  • The Northlands of Sweden

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:16 AM

Google is your friend. I began shooting on Super8 late last year, but before I came here to ask questions, I did a lot of reading.

You need to search Super 8mm on Google and just spend a couple of days reading. You have to learn the basics of shooting film before you do anything. Or come here asking for help.

Tough love works. Trust me.

Good man!

#5 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

Good man!

I try. B)

My first stuff sucked. Trash can worthy. But I improved at a quick pace.

John, you need to do test rolls as Jamie recommends. I did more than a few. Then I shot some some straight.net entries.

Then I shot a short film on Super8 that wasn't cheap. Here is the opening sequence, with unfinished music score, but without the narration that will go along with it.

http://vimeo.com/25676690

#6 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

Watch out, you're on a slippery slope.

You'll be on to 16mm soon, then looking for a 35mm camera. Film is fun and unique. You'll impress your friends and have beautiful footage.

#7 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

Not likely, Will. Unless I am getting paid for it. We're moving in October, to a country with zero support of celluloid. No buying. No developing. No scanning.

So digital all the way, unfortunately. But it's a beautiful country. Golden opportunity. Won't pass it up.

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport