3 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:02 AM

I really enjoyed the experience of being on set of the movie Hey Hey It's Esther Bluberger as an extra. The whole atmosphere (and being part of a huge well organised operation) was awesome. I am now keen on becoming a Runner on a movie though I have no car or license. I rely on public transport. I know that in some cases (not always) a Runner is required to drive cast and crew from A to B. Obviously, that is not possible for me with my situation. Regarding Australian productions, is that going to be a considerable disadvantage for me, or something that can be accounted for? Out of curiosity, how many Runners are there on a typical movie set - one or a few? And getting to the various locations (early in the morning) is another concern for me.

#2 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

You might want to become a producer, an actor or a director so someone can drive you around.

#3 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

You might want to become a producer, an actor or a director so someone can drive you around.

Good point! Though I'm guessing for most of those roles, you'd need to be a Runner first. Anyhow, I'd like to be in a more actival, physical role on set - as compared to a producer or a director. I don't mind hauling equipment around (actually I enjoy it.) Alternatively, how much harder is it to get into continuity? I'd be just as interested getting into that as a entry level job.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5193 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:54 AM

Continuity isn't an entry level job.

http://www.skillset....icle_3886_1.asp

Unless you've got job that means that you always travel with the main crew, I'd get a license otherwise you're likely to lose out on a few job possibilities. Productions often tend to have a crew bus that leaves from a central location or the production offices to the filming location, otherwise you have to use a taxi or hitch a lift with another crew member.

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape